Friday, December 25, 2020

Robotics;Notes episode 15 is a good Christmas episode

I feel compelled to make this post about it even though I'm not entirely sure how to articulate my feelings.

Most of Japan is similar to California and Israel in that Snow at this time of year isn't as common as it is for those of us living further north.  That makes a subtle difference in the thematic role Snow plays in Anime in general.  In my post a couple years ago on episode 6 of Noir I got the name of that episode confused, it's Lost Kitten not Snow, but it kept using the word Snow in ways that confused my memory (I think it's because Snow was the name of a song on the Soundtrack).

The episode climaxes in a Christmas Miracle that is really a simple act of kindness.  Standard Christmas episode tropes.  But it's also specifically tied to the show's Sci-Fi setting and how Otaku driven it is.

I'm sure all the Christmas episodes BeneathTheTangles talked about are perfectly good if you're into those shows.  But I think this may be the best Anime Christmas Episode at being Christmas for Anime weirdos.

No comments:

Post a Comment