Monday, June 24, 2024

Kun is not a gendered Honorific

This is a fact I was well aware of when I started using it in my Kuudere based Username while also identifying as Fluid.  There was an old TheAnimeMan video about how neither the Chan or Kun Hoonorifics are inherently Gendered.

I choose it over other Honorifics I could have used because I like alliteration.

But to the casual Western Anime fan, Chan seems Girly and Kun seems Boyish.  With every well known example of male character being called Chan being one who is less then ideally Masculine in some way.

Fortunately I'm now aware of some neat examples of Girls being called Kun.

In Detective Conan Professor Agasa usually calls Haibara Ai "AiKun".

Recently I was watching scenes from the Visual Novel Shiny Days on a website I won't name and noticed that Youko calls Mai "MaiKun".

Neither of those characters are Tomboys or Bifauxnen or Butch or any other kind of masculine woman.  

I've referred to Haibara as a Kuudere before, and Mai is the mother of the Kuudere I use for my Avatar.  So I feel reasonably vindicated in my decision to associate the Kuudere with the Kun honorific.

I also recently discovered that someone on Deviant Art had created a character named KuudereKun years before I independently came up with that for my new Username.  But they don't seem to have become super popular so I think the Username is still fair game for me to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment