Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I enjoyed the new Mummy movie.

I want to say that upfront since I'm going to express some frustrations here.  It was enjoyable, trying to be less Indiana Jones then the 99 film, but still more Popcorn fun then the original.  As the launch of a Shared Cinematic Universe, I like it more then Iron Man or Godzilla 2014.

And to people complaining about making these movies action movies at all.  The 40s Universal Monster Mash films were even for the time definitely more Pulpy adventure films then true Horror. And they had self parody moments as well, especially in Bride of Frankenstein.

There will be Spoilers by the way.






I've long shared the common annoyance of many at making a god of death like Hades a Satan figure.  But taking a deity who actually could debatably be called a Satan figure, like Set, and repeatedly calling him the god of death when he wasn't, manages to be far more annoying.

I would also agree with the criticisms you could make on Feminist grounds.  Which they only further invited by making a female Mummy a major selling point.  I knew going in to expect another Tom Cruz action hero role.  But having your big female Mummy movie become essentially the origin story of a male "monster", is almost a full slap in the face.

I liked all the stuff setting up the grander Universe.  And to all the people who might be complaining about that.  A number of the Classic Universal Monster movies were named as if we're only getting one Monster to then give more then one.  In that context, Russel Crow as Jekyll and Hide does not feel like nearly as much of a waste as Carradine's Dracula in House of Frankenstein, or The Monster's presence in both House of Films, but rather was quite entertaining.

There was no After Credits scene, that annoys me, you can't copy Marvel's formula without also giving me nerdy after credits scenes.  I don't forgive DC for this crap I certainly won't forgive Universal.  Kong Skull Island had an awesome bonus scene, it's not that hard.  So you'd better get this right next time.

Update: When I'm watching a movie, I'll often think of a number of things I would want to say in a Blog post on it, and then Forget them when I actually make the post. There is one more thing I want to say in praise of this film.

In other Mummy movies, it's always weird to me how this curse given to punish someone effectively makes them an immortal with super powers.  Yeah it does often seem an unpleasant existence, but Imhotep was always pretty happy with it.

I liked that this movie had it where she'd already obtained her immortality and super powers. The Mummifying alive and unusual burial was simply an attempt to contain her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment