Tuesday, November 28, 2017

I want Anime to be Anime

It annoys me how so many of the Anime critics on Wordpress and YouTube predicate their praise of certain shows on how they're doing so much unlike how Anime usually does it.  I like Anime because I like what Anime usually does.

Back before I'd gotten really into Anime that was kinda how I sounded talking about the Western Nerdy media I liked.  But then I started watching more Anime then just the super mainstream stuff, and I quickly fell deeply in love.  Anime was doing what I was wanting all along, and I feel stupid that it took me so long to discover it.  I'm someone who wanted to make the Live Action Lucky Star before I knew Lucky Star existed.  I was also a Yuri Shipper before I knew what Yuri was.

I just started getting into Isekai, while the popular trend now among YouTubers is to talk like it's a garbage trend that needs to die.  It reminds me of when I was into the Vampire craze, accept this time I actually like most of what I've watched.

I'm also tried of hearing people rant about how they want more Anime about adults and less about High School.  When I've always gotten most of my enjoyment from Teen Dramas and was annoyed that only two channels made them on American TV and now even they're not anymore.  I'm over 30 and have come to believe people over 30 shouldn't be allowed to vote.  I love that Anime gives me an abundance of what I enjoy.

So after getting 5 episodes into MMO Junkie via it's Dub and only really enjoying it when it's in the Game.  Hearing the Neotaku podcasters praise how it just abandons the game around Episode 6 made me pull the trigger on dropping it.

Nothing is perfect, but what I want to change about Anime is it going even further with what is weird and distinctive about it.  Like Harems actually going for a truly Non-Monogamous resolution, which Isekai Smartphone has given us, but I now want to see that with more progressive gender dynamics.

And I also want more Yuri and Yaoi to become fully Canon. But that doesn't mean I want the nature of the relationships to become like a typical romance.  I want Konata and Kagami to be how they usually are, just shagging between scenes.

5 comments:

  1. You got removed from Reddit for being over the 10% self promotion limit. Just in case you read this before you read that...

    I am a 40 year old weeb and I disagree with you strongly on several points. Net-Juu a good show... it's just not a gamer show. It's a Josei romance with a MMO backdrop... It's only as important to the show as it is to the protagonist.

    I've been saying this in discussion threads since episode 1 when everyone was comparing it to Gamers and Netoge no Yome... and I had to call bullshit.

    I had this same problem with New Game!! Everyone losing their shit, telling people it was fucking "ShiroBako in a video game art department" when it was obviously a "cute yuri office girls do cute yuri office things" show from the first frame.

    It's like every time any show has the least bit of gamer appeal, that community seems to consume the community discussion around what whatever show they sink their teeth into... only to spit it out and bitch about it afterward for not being tasty enough... okay this metaphor is showing some cracks... nevermind.

    Point is.. the Gaming fan community dwarfs the Anime community in size... and there is alot of cross-over... I wan't those shows to be judged as what they are instead of how they suck because they're not what the larger community wanted them to be... theyre anime. Good anime. They are at least superficially about adults... Net-juu is a Josei romance, and New Game is a Yuri worplace comedy...

    Let anime be anime. It's what you say you want before you go on to bitch about anime not being games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that much of a Gamer person. Just in the case of this show I was not enjoying the other aspects of it.

      I like what I've seen of New Game so far and have been meaning to return it. It's one of a number of shows I started and put on hold late last year. I forget I ever even added it to my MAL.

      What's your opinion on Smartphone.

      Delete
    2. Don't have one. Haven't watched it. Doesn't intrerst me. Watch Mahoujin Guru Guru if u aren't already.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, I can't seem to find it however.

      Delete