Sunday, January 6, 2019

Narnia Animated

I just re-watched the 1979 animated version of The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe.  The 2005 Disney film happened to be on TV while I was in the Hospital last month, which partly prompted my recent re-watching of Prince Caspian.

When I last watched this cartoon years ago I still hadn't gotten that into Anime yet.  Now in 2019 I have a lot less tolerance for a cartoon having a severe lack of nuance in characterization compared to it's live action counterpart.  Tumnus and Edmund both act like mustache twirling villains before their plot ordained change of heart happens.  The Dom complained in the 2005 movie about Jadis when first meeting with Edmund seeming much more cartoonish then she did in the book, well just look how it goes in the actual cartoon.

Ya know, I don't think most people even know this cartoon exists, most discussion of Narnia adaptations are just about comparing the 80s BBC miniseries to the Hollywood movies.

As someone who's familiarity with Narnia is mainly through adaptations, and just hearing people talk about the books a lot.  I wonder if I'm only such a fan of Susan because of Anna Popplewell?  In this cartoon she was kinda just there, and I don't much remember her from the BBC versions.  Thing is I haven't watched Anna in much else, I tried getting into Reign a couple of times but it was never able to keep me interested.

If Netflix is really gonna reboot the series, I think they should forgo LA and work with their Anime partners to make a better Animated adaptation.  For one thing Anime people won't be afraid to make Aslan adorable which I've heard he is sometimes.  This cartoon made more of an effort then the movie to reference Aslan playing with the girls after he's resurrected, but it looks really really not good.

The Dub of Princess Principal has proven there are Anime Dub actresses who can do British Accents well.  But I'd have Aslan be voiced, in both English and Japanese versions, by the same actor who voiced Entei in the 3rd Pokemon movie.

The movies were clearly building to having Tilda be the Lady of the Green Kirtle, which is not a decision I would have liked.  Tilda suited the White Witch fine but I tend to visualize something very different for the Green Lady.  There was this piece of Fan Art I saw of her once a long time ago, but it wasn't on a website you would normally go to for Narnia fanart and now I can't find it.  Some of the fanart you will find on a google image or deviant art search has the same kind of look.  I would want her to have the same kind of vibe as Amora/The Enchantress from the Thor comics. I'm amazed how off the top of my head I can't think of an analogous Anime character.

No comments:

Post a Comment