Monday, September 21, 2020

John Michael Tatum as Joab

John Michael Tatum is an American voice actor who's work has mostly been English language Dubs of Japanese Cartoons commonly referred to as Anime.  In Legend of The Galactic Heroes: The New Thesis he is the Dub voice of Paul von Oberstein and in Legend of The Legendary Heroes he is the Dub voice of Miran Froaude.  

In addition to those two shows having oddly similar names (at least in their English Translations), these two characters are also arguably the same archetype.  A clever skilled advisor or subordinate of an idealistic Prince who supports their ideals but is also willing to get their hands dirty in ways the Prince seemingly isn't, engaging in acts that make them look a lot like a Villain, a very interesting type of Antihero.

Tatum is very good in both roles in my opinion, I hope LOTGH keeps the same English cast if the original ever gets Dubbed.  LOTLH I still haven't finished for complicated reasons but I am mostly enjoying it.  Neither is among the roles he's most known for, those are probably mainly Okabe in Stiens;Gate and Erwin in Attack on Titan.

I'm sure there are a lot of other examples of that archetype out there, even in other Anime.  But the main example on my mind right now is how maybe, arguably one could read Joab from the Bible narrative of King David in the books of Samuel and Chronicles this way.  More skeptical scholars tend to question the extent to which these texts paint David as not directly condoning most of Joab's shadier actions, and I'm not as hostile to that as you might assume.  But for the purposes of this post it's notable that the sources we have present David as at least having plausible deniability.

I'd already been contemplating how fun it might be to have an Audio Book of The King James Bible performed by Anime Dub Voice Actors.  And now I know what would perhaps be the most interesting role for Tatum.

Are the two Princes in question comparable to King David in other ways?  Perhaps that's something I can revisit when I've seen more of them.  For now I'm more into comparing Reinhard and Kircheis to Alexander and Hephestian.

No comments:

Post a Comment