Monday, September 7, 2020

Why do I even want Hollywood Live Action adaptations of Anime?

I've talked about issues related to this already, how I feel LA adaptations of Anime can be done and what I think hinders the most failed attempts that have been made so far.

However I'm also someone who's said I consider Animation an inherently superior art-form to Live Action films, with Anime specifically providing most of the examples of why.  And I consider more serialized mediums better for fleshing out stories and character then theatrical films.  So why then do I even want stories that are already in their most ideal form to get Hollywood Live Action adaptations?

It's because I'm a fan in principle of seeing the same basic story get retold in different ways.  Sometimes even in the same medium, we have two Sailor Moon Anime now and I love comparing them, appreciating the strengths of each version even when it sometimes seems like I'm being more harsh to one of them.

So for every TV Anime I'd like to see remade as a Hollywood movie there are more Hollywood movies I'd like to see remade as TV Anime.  For every story set in modern Japan I'm a defender of seeing re-imagined as set in modern America, there are more stories traditionally set in modern America I'd like to see re-imagined as being set in modern Japan.  I have a High School Anime version of Jesus Christ Superstar worked out in my head, and I've begun contemplating how I'd reboot the Superman mythos with Kal-El's rocket landing in Kansai rather then Kansas.

And there is also the fact that some people simply aren't gonna take an interest in a franchise till it has a Hollywood Blockbuster version, but then once that gets them interested they hopefully will check out other versions.

I do tend to enjoy Hollywood movies, something not typical of a person who blogs about niche Nerdy interests on the Internet.  I'm a fan of many that have been popularly considered to be bad and mostly enjoy the popular ones I sometimes call overrated.  Though interestingly I still haven't even tried the most notoriously bad Anime adaptations yet.  I've currently seen 4 arguably 5 live action movies based on Anime that were made in The West, they are Speed Racer, Lady Oscar, Death Note, Battle Angel Alita and Detective Pikachu.  The two I like the least are actually the two that are not Hollywood blockbusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment