Sunday, November 14, 2021

Zelda Theory: Ocarina of Time's Forest Temple is a Martyrium

Afraid I won't be doing much for Zelda Month this year, just this idea I'd had floating around in my head for awhile.

The Forest Temple of all the OoT Temples is the most mysterious in terms of what kind of Temple it could be.  The others were built by some group in the region to serve some purpose. But the Kokiri certainly didn't build this Temple.

One thing I notice about the Forest Temple is that it has some thematic Death associations shared only with the Shadow Temple, like Stalfos showing up.

Let's look at a map of the Forest Temple, focusing on the First Floor since that gives us the best look at the overall outline.  I had to screenshot this myself since no fansites just use the official Maps anymore.


Here some Screenshots of the main Room.






Notice how the celling looks like the inside of a Dome?  I wonder how no one ever observed that before?  Also, the main room's octagonal shape. That last one without the black sidebars isn't mine but one I found before deciding to resort to making my own.

That basic lay out reminds me of a Byzantine Martyrium.  

Here is the layout of a Cathedral from Bosra Syria.


Here is the Sergius, Bacchus and Leontius Cathedral in Istanbul.


Here are the Ruins of the St Philip Church of ancient Heirapolis in Turkey.

Similar kind of Octagonal structure with a Dome.  

But in this comparison where the actual Ciborium designating the resting place under the Dome would be is the 4 Torches and the Elevator going down to the lowest level.  Perhaps the Boss room was once a Tomb?

Whose Tomb would this be?  The Royal Family were buried in Kakariko.  Maybe it was the Tomb of the First Hero?  And that's somehow connected to how his garb became the basis for how the Kokiri dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment