Thursday, March 16, 2023

Case Closed continues on Tubi

First I decided to check and indeed searching Detective Conan on Tubi.TV won't work, you have to search Case Closed specifically.  Of course for people who would watch Tubi using the same device they are reading this blog on I could just link you directly.

Case Closed Dubbed
Case Closed Subbed

But I'd recommend using an App to watch it on your TV if you have one that plays Apps, Tubi is a Free one.

Dubbed now has in addition to the 20 episodes I talked about last time 985-1002 and 1004-1005.  The skipping of 1003 is random and feels like a mistake.  The Subbed page does have 1003 and more episodes as well going up 1014.

For some reason it's the first few episodes in each batch where I feel some of the one off character acting sounds odd, and I'm starting to wonder if it's really just my ears struggling to adjust to the new cast each time.  It turns out only a few characters are actually the same as the BangZoom Dub of the movies, Conan, Ran and maybe Kogoro, while the Detective Boys and Sonoko are definitely recast and possibly more.  Considering Sonoko is my favorite it's impressive that I got used to her new actress so quickly, I think I may even prefer her to the BangZoom voice, still difficult to beat Laura Bailey however.

988 and 992 are Sonoko Deduction Queen episodes and I guess I just feel bad for the BangZoom actress never getting to do one of these since it never happens in the movies.  At any rate both these episodes are pretty cool.

But perhaps the best episodes Dubbed on Tubi so far are 993-995 Makoto Kyogoku the Understudy.  It's the Dub debut in any cast for Sera Masumi and a pretty perfect episode to introduce her with.  Makoto's character is also perhaps better represented here then in the Blue Sapphire movie.  The episode has an isolated case that's interesting but happens do a decent amount of Lore refreshing that I think makes it a good set of episodes for newbies.  And also plenty of moments that are just plain fun.

1000-1001 is actually a remake of an early case, episode 11 on Crunchyroll and Filmrise and 11-12 in the Funimation Dub.  It's a stand alone case plot-wise but story wise is important to why saving the lives of even the culprits is important to Conan.  But it has a potentially problematic element that makes my feelings towards it mixed.  At any rate I really don't consider this remake the optimal viewing experience anyway, the tone and mood of this story really is better served by Retro Conan's artstyle.

1002 is the lead in episode for The Scarlet Bullet.  How these lead in episodes actually relate to the film in question is usually pretty abstract, they are by no means necessary.  Part of why I think a mistake was made is that even before these finally went up I was expecting that 1002 might be skipped for the purpose of saving it for being a bonus feature when Scarlet Bullet finally gets an English BluRay release.  I would probably like this episode more if I wasn't as politically informed as I am, this is practically a PSA episode about littering that really plays into the Liberal individualizing of the issue.

As of writing this I haven't watched the Dub for episodes 1004-1005 yet.  You see they are the second and third parts of a three parter which makes the skipping of 1003 even more bizarre.  I happen to have seen this 3 parter Subbed already and it is a good case, and from the next episode preview it sounds like they cast Mr Eypatch Hitler-Stach well.  So I'm gonna give them time to fix the 1003 issue.

Update: 1003 was added after to long, so I've now rewatched the whole three parter Dubbed and it holds up, has some cool lines.

Update March 30th: On the 29th nine new episodes went up Dubbed on Tubi and I decided to just add to this post rather then make a new one.

Episode 1009 is a fun Detective Boys episode.  1010 is a unique episode that I found pretty fun, and it;s another appearance of Danny's.

1011-112 is pretty interesting.  It's the first Columbo type Case in these Tubi Dubbed episodes so far, and the Dub debuts of both the Kindergarden Teachers and Yamamura the Gunma inspector.  I was actually suprised how well Yamamura's voice turned out, he fits the character perfectly.

1013 is a really compelling episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment