Thursday, February 1, 2024

Witch Hunter Robin's Adult Swim 20th Anniversary

In my prior posts about being in the era of 20th anniversaries of early 2000s Anime I have a few times mentioned how Western Fans seeing these shows for the first time usually happened a few years later.  It really is not that difficult to find out what those western localization release dates were, I just didn’t feel like doing research that was more complicated than checking MAL.

Well thanks to a random YouTube Video from MrTopTenList about forgotten Adult Swim Anime I now know the Adult Swim broadcast of the 2002 Anime Witch Hunter Robin began in February of 2024.  I didn't watch the show then, I randomly bought the DVD box set a few years later (it is the English Dub I watched however).  But still for other fans of this show, perhaps most of them, now their memories of it are starting to turn 20 years old. 

I also really wanna see that April Fools day broadcast now, I’m certain I would get a kick out of it.

The current official place to watch Witch Hunter Robin is on Crunchyroll.

2003 was the initial Adult Swim Run of Reign The Conqueror (also in February, interestingly), I wish I’d known that last year so I could properly celebrate it.  So someone born while their Dad was watching Reign premiere on Adult Swim will be old enough to Drink this month.

Late Spring and Summer of 2004 was the broadcast of the Funimation Dub of Detective Conan which was renamed Case Closed, not all of it aired on Adult Swim though, only like 48 episodes.

So let’s get the 20 year Nostalgia Cycle boom going for these shows.  Most of the stuff in that YouTube Video are not shows I ever watched but I may be checking them out soon.  I have a fascination in general with the kind of Anime we got in the 00s that just aren’t made anymore.  Not all of it even got localized, but what was on Toonami and Adult Swim and other blocks from 2002-2005 is exactly what should be ready for resurgence now.

I don't know what the oldest SciFi channel Anime Blocks were called.  My earliest memories of watching Anime on the SciFi channel was the AniMondays block when it aired Gundam 00.

No comments:

Post a Comment