Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Hayao Miyazaki has clearly been an influence on Video Games.

When I covered Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind I talked about it's possible influences on Video Games.

Last night I watched 1986's Castle in The Sky., and I noticed more.  For one thing during the opening credits we see a Goddess in the sky blowing wind who looks a lot like how the Goddesses of Hyrule were depicted in the Instruction Manuel of A Link To The Past.

In fact the entire premise of Castle in The Sky could have inspired Skyloft in Skyward Sword, which was anticipated by the Sky Temple in Twilight Princess.

I also can't help but suspect Miyazaki's love of Air Ships helped inspire the popularity of Air Ships in Video Games, from Super Mario Bros. 3 to the Final Fantasy games.  The Airship idea was of course invented by Jules Verne, and the Airships in this film were more Verneian then the ones in Nausicaa.

People have commented before on Castle of Calgiostro being an influence on Spielberg for the Indiana Jones films.  This movie definitely felt like an Indy film at times.  Some people criticize how Castle of Cagliostro feels more like a Miyazaki films then a Lupin film, but this movie felt like it could have been a Lupin film.

Going the other way however, there was definitely a moment in Castle in The Sky where I went "Well Miyazaki definitely saw Empire Strikes Back".

It's a good film, I just gave it a 9 on My Anime List.

I've liked every Miyazaki film I've seen so far.  But I still doubt I'll get to all of them, for some the plots simply don't interest me.  But based on his track record so far, I'd say he's definitely worth checking out if any of those stories interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment