Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Princess Bride vs Robin Hood: Men In Tights

These are two movies that are interesting to compare to each other, they came out relatively close to each other, have the same actor as the male lead, and are both parodies of swashbuckling low fantasy adventure stories.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights is the only Mel Brooks movie I've watched in recent memory, and it became the first time I re-watched something I liked when I was younger and now kind of don't like it.

Is this one generally considered one of his weakest or is this a sign that his style of Humor just isn't my thing anymore?  As someone who's own preferences are very Meta, I feel like in this movie Mel definitely falls back on Fourth Wall breaking as a crutch, like he's doing it because he can't think of any actually clever joke.  Also near the end it falls back on referencing other Mel Brooks films a few times.

Though one of the main things bugging me about it is all the humor that is rather transphobic and homophobic and misogynist.  Those are all issues I've becomes much more sensitive to over the years I've been writing this blog.  But I feel people more directly effected by those issues are more qualified then me to talk about them in depth.

The Princess Bride I just re-watched even more recently, and that one held up.  Yes it's also pretty normative in it's handling of gender, but Buttercup is just so spunky that it's hard to care that she's technically a Damsel in Distress.

It's an interesting movie to revisit as an Otaku.  It's got a lot of Shonen qualities in the way Wesley makes friends with Inigo and Andre by defeating them.  And it's ablity to be like a Parody but still sincere is like a lot of my favorite Fantasy Anime.

So yeah, that is a movie that everyone needs to see at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment