Tuesday, March 17, 2020

We Anime fans need to spend more time Rewatching stuff

Since we're gonna be self isolating anyway.

Re-watching stuff is important, there are always details you won't notice till the second, fifth or even tenth viewing.  Digibro likes to say the re-watch is the real watch, and that sometimes you won't really know what your opinion on something is till the third viewing.

But we Otaku I think because we're such database animals are constantly trying to increase our MAL numbers.  With the ones making a living off talking about Anime only re-watching what they think they can devote a good video or podcast to.

Back when there was only a handful of Anime I was into I re-watched them constantly, I re-watched, Noir, and Witch Hunter Robin and Code Geass more times then I can count, same with my favorites of the Pokemon movies.  And it was likewise with the non Anime stuff, back when I owned most seasons of Buffy and Angel and the first season of One Tree Hill on DVD I re-watched all those episodes constantly.

Then in 2014 I started watching Anime more often, in 2016 I first started qualifying as an Otaku and in 2017 I started following seasonal Anime while searching for everything I missed that might interest me.  And so when I did devote time to re-watching what I'd seen before it was mostly the ones I'd already re-watched, perhaps I only felt safe re-watching what I knew was re-watchable since starting this blog afraid to wind up turning on stuff I had publicly praised.  Still it was of course good to return to the roots of my Anime fandom now that I was understanding it's context better, so I gave more re-watches to Noir and Witch Hunter Robin, and revisited old Sailor Moon and Pokemon memories.

Last year, in 2019 I finally gave a re-watch to Steins;Gate and it held up great as I expected it to.  And I also gave more re-watches to some of the shows mentioned above, Pokemon and Sailor Moon certainly helped me get through some stuff.  But what was really significant was Raildex.

Getting into the Raildex franchise near the end of 2018 felt great, I'd been watching lots of new Anime in the prior years but I hadn't gotten truly immersed in a new fictional world like that for a long time.  Getting into Raildx made me feel like a Nerd again.  By the end of 2018 I still hadn't re-watched any episodes yet.  But in 2019 I didn't wait long at all to start giving those some re-watches.  With A Certain Magical Index proper some arcs I found more re-watchable then others.  But I've now seen most episodes of the first two seasons of A Certain Scientific Railgun three times, and thus many parts of the Sisters arc 5 times.

Now this year I've already revisited Citrus.  And I'm primed to binge the Raildex franchise again once Railgun T is almost over.  I'm still following however many current shows keep me interested, and spending some time watching old shows I at least haven't completed yet, chiefly I wanna get myself up to speed on certain late 90s Mahou Shoujo.  But I want to focus more on re-watching stuff, some stuff I've already re-watched but also wanting to test the re-watchability of some stuff I only first watched in the last few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment