Thursday, March 18, 2021

Winter Anime 2021

 I figured I should make a post on this subject between my finishing the 2020 project and what I plan to start in April.  None of these winter shows are completed however since I do mostly Simuldubs, my finishing them up will be chronicled in the series I start in April.

Naturally it starts with stuff carrying over from Fall 2020.  Attack on Titan’s Final Season which started in December I have been following via Toonami.  It’s been pretty good, I think it shall prove to be a fitting ending for the show.  I watched the first episodes of Fate/Grand Carnival and Vladlove, the latter didn’t appeal to me so I dropped it, the former was fun and so I will watch more when they come out.  And the simuldub of Assault Lily Bouquet ended well.

And then the more standard Two Cour shows. HigurashiGou is one of the few I’m following Subbed, and where it’s gone has proven quite interesting, but it’s something I won’t have a final verdict on till it’s over.  Yashahime I put on hold, I may return to it, but it’s the kind of show that I enjoy the start of but will quickly get bored once it settles into a Status Quo.  Kinda like Pokemon beyond the first season.  

But my main goal in watching Yashahime was to be the online blogger testing its ability to stand on it’s own since I haven’t seen Inyuasha, and I do feel it passes that test though I’d recommend non Inyuasha fans to start with episode 2 and save episode 1 for around the same time they watch episode 7.

HigurashiGou ended on March 18th, and it was a cliffhanger, with much of the final two episodes being rather boring.  So I can’t really decide what I think of this sequel till I’ve seen HigurashiSOTSU, which I have no idea when that will even air.

In February I watched the latest Netflix original soon after it dropped, High-Rise Invasion, and it was very good, so far the most successful any Netflix original has been at engaging me.

On the last Day of February Tropical Rogue Pretty Cure started, as of my beginning to write this I’ve seen two episodes of it and it’s a pretty decent start.  PreCure is usually done well, but it's still difficult for me to stick with it the entire year.

The English Dub of Lord El-Melloi Case Files also finally dropped in early March, it was a very good show, better than I expected.

Shows that were Fall 2020 in Japan but who’s Simuldubs didn’t start till 2021 I shall think of as Winter 2021 shows.  The first of them is Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear which I’ve seen 5 episodes of and was enjoying, but then it’s Simuldub seemingly suddenly stopped, I have no idea what’s going on there......  And before March was over more episodes finally dropped, it’s still pretty fun.

For everything else that interests me I decided to wait till the Simludubs can give me a three episode test.  Though Wonder Egg Priority is a show I’m willing to try Subbed if it seems like a Dub won’t be coming anytime soon, but I’ll give it a bit more time to find out, in fact I’ve decided if I do watch it Subbed I’ll just Binge it when all the episodes are out.  Though now that I'm hearing how Suicide themed it is I'm not sure I want to watch it anymore.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle episode 1 was funny, but I question how you can get a full 12 episodes out of this premise.  “You’ve met a terrible fate haven’t you?” I wonder if that Majora's Mask reference was only in the Dub or also in the Japanese?  Episodes 2 and 3 were also very amusing.  Episode 4 was also fun, but definitely starting to stretch the joke already.

Adachi and Shimamura is more fun than I expected.  It’s not one of those boring Yuri like Bloom Into You or KaseSan.

Now I'm moving on to the proper Winter Seasonal Anime.  Jobless Reincarnation I’m not gonna bother with.  Nothing I’ve heard about it endears me, and some people’s attitude has given me an unfair bias against it.  If it is a show I can enjoy, I probably won’t be able to till it's not a current seasonal hot topic anymore.

So I’m A Spider, So What is one of those Isekai where an entire class reincarnates.  I think this is the first one I’m watching as an Anime but The Princess Knight is a Classmate is one I enjoyed at least the start of as a Manga.  I’ve noticed an increase in Anime referencing Marvel characters lately.  According to the White Haired student in episode 3 God is a Girl in this world, I always like when Anime takes that route.

Season 2 of SlimeIncarnation is also getting off to a pretty decent start.

So to start with I'm not following a lot actually, I may decide to start more later.

Update: I watched the Dub of Burn The Witch and enjoyed it.  All the shows above are still proving to be entertaining as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment