Friday, December 31, 2021

The End of 2021 marks 5 years of me following Seasonal Anime.

Since I really started following currently airing shows with the Winter season of 2017.  I had some vague awareness of currently airing Anime in 2016, but that was basically just the most well known stuff.

So I figured I should celebrate this landmark by talking about some of my favorite shows from each of these 5 years, maybe even sometimes specific seasons, it depends.

For the winter of 2017 Dragon-Maid was probably the stand out, but I also enjoyed ACCA, Tanya the Evil and Gabriel Dropout.  But that's just stuff I watched at or near the time, I eventually watched Scum's Wish and now would say my favorite of that season was Chaos;Child.

For the rest of the year, Fate/Apocrypha, In Another World With My SmartphonePrincess Principle, and Anime Gataris are what I consider the best new shows, but also season 2 of Yuki Yuna Is a Hero and it's prequel episodes that came with it were great too.

For 2018 it's perhaps easier for me to name my favorites of the movies.  Both Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms and Pokémon: The Power of Us were fantastic.  For TV Anime, Citrus was awesome, Legend of The Galactic Heroes The New Thesis was very good, Hugtto Pretty Cure was fantastic. Meanwhile Darling in The FranXX was decent and SSSS.Gridman was great. And then at the end of the year That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime started, and the early part is what I liked best of that show.

For 2019 YU-NO: The Girl Who Chants Love at The Bound of This World was definitely the best TV Anime, Boogiepop and Others has great material, but some big flaws early on.  And then Weathering With You was a great movie.  Also we got some fun Lupin The Third content that year.

For 2020 A Certain Scientific Railgun T I still consider the best, Bofuri was also fun, while In/Spectre and Tower of God are both interesting.  Most everything else I consider notable from 2020 was in the Fall season, and that stuff like everything I've watched in 2021 is perhaps still a bit too recent for me to fully parse yet.

But I'll attempt to list some 2021 Favorites anyway.  Pokémon: Secrets of The Jungle was another satisfying PokeFlick, and then Pokémon Evolutions was pretty cool as well.  High-Rise Invasion which dropped on Netflix was a big stand out, as was Eden later on.  So I'm A Spider, So What was perhaps the most fun I had for much of the year, and Wonder Egg Priority was an interesting little experiment even though the ending fell off a bit.  Star Wars Visions I did a post on already.  And also at the end of the year Yuki Yuna Is a Hero The Great Mankai Chapter was a good Coda to season 2, nothing else from Fall I've really gotten to watch yet, same with some of what interested me back in the Summer, and there's also some Movies I haven't seen yet  So my 2021 faves will probably need revision in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment