Wednesday, January 5, 2022

The 2000 Sci-Fi Miniseries is still the best Dune adaptation

This post is not about me bashing any of the others, the Lynch film had it's moments, Jorodowsky's Dune sounds like it could've been very interesting, and the new 2021 film was very good, I enjoyed it and will be giving it re-watches in the future, it is second best by far.

The new film has the best Special Effects of any Dune adaptation so far, and it's also the first time Paul in the early part of the story looks even close to as young as he should.  And the 2000 Miniseries may have created more not in the books original material.

But what I like about Dune is not Special Effects or Epic battles, I like it's Philosophical and Shakespearean qualities.  So it is what the Theatrically trained actors of the 2000 Ministeries bring to the table that makes Dune feel how I want it to feel in a dramatized medium.

In addition to the New Dune falling short of what I want from the Acting, it was also just simply too short.  I wanted more then 3 hours just to get to the end of the first part.  So this film went further into the book then I would have wanted a first film to go while having less runtime.

No cutaway to the Emperor is what I prefer for a film actually, but the lack of Feyd was really weird.  There was also no exploring of what a Mentat is, nor did Yueh's character get the time needed for his role in this part of the story.

I think part of why they did the first movie this way is they wanted Chani to be more then just dream cameos in the first film, after all they cast Zendaya and then made a big deal out of it.

Also book accurate or not I very much prefer the miniseries version of the Fear Mantra, their version is what my mind has firmly memorized and every time I hear it different in another version it just sounds wrong to me.

What bugs me is how all the YouTube videos on new Dune when comparing to prior versions only bring up the Lynch film or various failed projects.  They don't respect the 2000s Minisieres as even worthy of mention because it wasn't a big name Hollywood Director with big name Hollywood Actors.  But to me those actors all should be more famous then they are, whether "accurate" to a fanboy's imagination of these characters or not they all gave great compelling performances, similar to why I prefer Anime Dub Voice Actors over most Hollywood actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment