Sunday, January 23, 2022

Well, I'm hooked on Detective Conan now

The people following me on Twitter are aware of this already, but I figure I should mention it on my Blog.

How much I like the Mystery Genre itself seems to fluctuate.  But I now think Conan really is the modern Sherlock Holmes.  

I have been aware of this show for awhile, I knew it was one of those Anime super Popular in Japan but has been very limited in it's ablity to catch on in the States.  The show wasn't what I expected, I was expecting the Anime version of something like Nancey Drew, and indeed some of the one off episodes have that vibe.  But the show can get pretty serious and "dark", it also involves duel identities and a super secret international crime syndicate that keeps making my think of Paul Feval's Les Habits Noirs/The Blackcoats.  But most importantly has fun likeable characters.

Thus far I have still only seen a small percentage of episodes, at the moment all Dubbed content but that includes some Fandubed episodes.  That range of what I've seen is a lot of stuff from the earliest years including the first 6 movies dubbed by Funimation, and the most recent movies which have been Dubbed by BangZoom.  I am willing to try watching episodes Subbed, but suspect this genre is going to be difficult to watch Subbed, it demands one pay close to all the little things.  Speaking of which especially when Dubbed this franchise often goes under the altname name Case Closed.

My very first introduction was watching the theatrical crossover with Lupin The Third, and I would have to say that is a pretty ideal crossover movie.  It deliveries plenty of the kinds of fun interactions someone already a fan of both would want to see, but can also serve as a good entry point to either franchise for fans of the other.

But also for fans of Lupin The Third and the genre he represents any Kaitou Kid/Kid The Phantom Thief story should be worth checking out.  Of course in many key ways Kid is more like the original Arsene Lupin then Lupin III.

I might do a follow up post on my Detective Conan experience in the future, for now just know it's a show I recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment