I've now watched Batman Nightfall Part 1.
I've never read the original Knightfall comics, the prior version I'm comparing this to is the BBC Radio Drama from the 90s.
I'll start with the main positive, it was great finally seeing Tim Drake in animation. The DCAU's Tim was in name only and the Tim in the Unlimited movies was forgettable.
What made Tim special among the Robins back when he was being written by Marv Wolfman and Chuck Dixon and Geoff Johns and Bill Wilingham (I haven't really read much from the Jon Lewis run yet or Peter David's Young Justice) is that he was being set up to be the Bat Sidekick destined to one day surpass Bruce as the World's Greatest Detective. Looking back on that now results in my making Shinichi Kudo comparisons. And in that area this Knightfall film didn't disappoint.
Now for my criticisms.
First of all they cut Film Freak. Cowards.
Secondly I have mixed feelings on the Artstyle, why not actually try to evoke the arstyle of 90s DC Comics?
To amend what I said earlier i have read something Knightfall adjacent, the Robin Flying Solo Trade. This is not that Artstyle. Is Red River can successfully look like a 90s Anime, why can't this look like a 90s Comic come to life?
Third, I'm amazed by how structurally disappointing it felt.
This end about where Hour 1 of the 3 Hour Radio Rama ended, but it felt like less happened not more. In that both the set up of Jean Paul Valley and Bruce's deterioration felt way more successfully fleshed out.
The Caped Crusader season 2 failed to engage at all, couldn't finish one episode.
I've also watched the new Supergirl movie now. It's a good movie, it's entertaining, but it's not the kind of movie I want for Supergirl.
It felt more like a Star Wars movie much of the time.
I like the bronze Age Supergirl.
I've also been watching Lanterns since my family currently temporarily has HBO for free. It's good so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment