Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Ideal 26 Episode Anime Structure

I made a post about how the ideal Anime structure is 26 episodes.  But I could only think of two 26 Episode shows that even followed the structure I refereed to, too many two core shows feel like two single core seasons packaged together.

Well I just watched the first TV Anime of the Tenchi Muyo franchise, which was released in the US as Tenchi Universe.  And it basically follows that structure, it's never Monster of the Week cause it's not that kind of genre, but the first 10 episodes are basic episodic self contained short stories helping us get to know the characters, then we get a 3 part episode, then episode 14 really launches the main plot.

Now this kind of structure can include a return to the Episodic formula temporarily during the latter half after the first major shake up, just with a new status quo.  For Witch Hunter Robin that was a return to Monster of the Week stories but with the cast now split up.  For Tenchi that was them now on the run traveling through space.

[As a Warning, episode 22 has a moment that may have potential seizure risk, it made me think of the Porygon incident.]

I had mentioned how I really wanted to see this structure applied to a Magical Girl show.  Most Magical Girl shows are either kids shows that last all year, or single core shows which either never did the monster of the week thing to start with, or have to relegate the main plot to just the 2 or 3 part finale.

Well the Pretty Sammy TV Anime from 96/97 is a 26 episode show.  I wonder if it follows this structure since it looks like the Tenchi franchise may have invented it.  It doesn't have a Dub however which means it may be awhile before I watch it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment