Tuesday, April 2, 2019

It's hard for me to truly settle on a 3x3

I made one recently, based mostly on the mood I was in at the time.
I simply really like too much stuff to easily settle on 9 shows to call my definitive absolute favorites.  On MAL I've given out 66 10 out of 10s so far.  Digibro has completed almost three times as many shows as I have but has given out less then half as many 10s.

For one this was a 3x3 of just TV Anime, no movies otherwise Nausicaa would certainly have had to be on it.  I was working on a 3x3 of just movies at the same time I worked on this, but I couldn't settle on one, and had trouble finding the right size images for some I knew I wanted to include.

Index and Railgun was something I'd only just recently discovered when I made this, a year from now will it still be so dominant in how I think about Anime?  I have no way of knowing.

Code Geass is perhaps the opposite problem, I feel the need to include it for how important it was to my early history with Anime, but it's been awhile since it'd really been an active part of my fandom.  Maybe that'll change when I can finally see the new movie.

My mind also continually changes on whether I prefer Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works to be my top installment of the Fate/ franchise.

And am I overrating Smartphone just a little bit because of how much I feel the community at large underrates it? and because I wanted to include something recent? Is it even really my favorite Isekai?  The fact that I only have 12 episodes to go on is what holds it back, but my other top Isekai is also only 12 episodes so far, No Game No Life.

And one show missing from the current 3x3 is a show that had once temporarily topped even Noir as my absolute favorite, Revolutionary Girl Utena.  It remains what I consider the most important Feminist Anime.

The Lupin The 3rd franchise is also missing, it's provided 2 movies that would be likely to make a 3x3 of just films, and a miniseries that is perhaps the 2nd best Feminist Anime, and plenty else I've enjoyed. 

When I made this I felt the need to limit myself to only one Magical Girl show, but I certainly feel like the Magical Girl genre currently makes up more then just a 9th of my interest in Anime.  I wound up settling on Nanoha at the time I made this.  For awhile I was considering Yuki Yuna Is A Hero my favorite, but before I watched that I would have said Madoka Magica which played an important role in my becoming more of a full time Anime fan.

And then there is Sailor Moon, it's very important to my history with Anime, and in theory certainly should be a favorite.  But there are currently so few single installments of Sailor Moon I'm willing to give a 10, currently I only give the first movie at 10.  All of the main arcs have me too much thinking about how the different versions have their own different imperfections.

Thing is I can basically say the same thing about Pokemon, where on MAL I only quite give a 10 to the 3rd movie.  Yet for both Pokemon and Sailor Moon it'd be highly rare of me to rate anything below a 6, and fairly rare for one to get below an 8.

There is also a genre completely missing, and that's the Yuri Genre.  Now Yuri content exists in arguably almost everything on that 3x3 or that I've talked about at all so far in this post.  But primarily Yuri shows like Citrus and Strawberry Panic and others have trouble earning a perfect score or competing with my long time faves, but they are still pretty important to me.

And that's just scratching the surface of shows I feel are quite important to defining what kind of Anime fan I am, yet that I have trouble definitively calling better enough then other shows to make them undeniably an absolute favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment