Thursday, June 27, 2019

Wixoss is the only Card Game Anime I've watched.

And I know full well that is not an ideal first impression of the genre.

I've also still only watched what has been Dubbed of it, so two seasons and zero movies, and I'm slowly losing hope any more will ever get dubbed.

As it's own stand alone show I quite enjoy Wixoss, it's dark yet still optimistic and very Gay.  What bugs me on a Meta Level however is that it is essentially trying to be the Madoka Magica of a sub-genre that doesn't exist yet.

"But there's a lot of Card Game Anime, Mother's Basement did a whole rant video on them" you may say in response.  Well yes there are but they are all Shonen. I am NOT a supporter of the narrative many AnimeFeminist.com contributors spread that the Dark Magical Girl genre is some inherently misogynist message about "punishing girls for wanting things" when the same "be careful what you wish for" moral is in a lot of male oriented media and is always what "Deconstructions" are based on saying.  However in this case it does unsettle me a bit that the only entry in this Genre where Girls take center stage is the Dark "this Wish Fulfillment is actually a Nightmare" take.

What Wixoss is at first kind of pretending to be (but the Madoka vibes were always there so don't pretend you were ever fooled) is a premise I'd like to see simply played straight.  The idea of there being this really popular Card Game, that everyone keeps saying is mostly played by boys, but the magical real secret game is one only girls are invited to.  That could be a cool fun premise that could also provide some subtle nerd culture social commentary.

And as far as the issue Mother's Basement has with Card Game Anime, imagine if this Girl centric one was the first to give him what he wanted, that'd be awesome.  I would have advised him to add to the video a comparison to how the Pokemon Anime eventually gets better at depicting fun interesting strategic battles.

And yes, the fact that I'm much more likely to watch an Anime where the main characters are mostly or entirely girls is the main reason Wixoss is still the only Card Game Anime I've watched.  Though back in the day my radical brand loyalty to Nintendo kept me from trying anything perceived as competing with Pokemon so Yugioh like Digimon were more ruled out by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment