Tuesday, December 31, 2019

My 2019 Anime Experience has been looking back more then at the present

What I currently consider the most important 2019 Anime is the one where I was shocked to learn how old the source material was.  YU-NO has in general made me want to learn more about the history of Visual Novels.

The most satisfying Adult Swim based experience I had was watching the Lupin III show that aired last year.  And that is only the tip of the iceberg of how much I've increased my Lupin cred.  It might be accurate to say I've doubled the amount of Lupin III I've seen this year.  I can currently say for certain that the only Lupin III Anime which has been Dubbed I haven't seen is most of Part II.

The Magical Girl Warrior genre was always a favorite of mine, but this year I've set out to see enough of it that I now feel I'm as much of an expert as I can be without it being the only Genre I significantly care about.  Much of that was concentrated around MahouShouJune, but some happened both before and after then.

I've also increased my Mecha knowledge by getting started on Macross, and my Isekai knowledge by watching the first season of the El-hazzard OVAs.  My Vampire Anime knowledge by watching Serpah of The End when it was on SonyCrackle, and my non magical Shoujo knowledge by checking out some Marmalade Boy and the first two episodes of Goldfish Warning!.  I'm watching Flying Witch via AnimeNetwork on demand.  And going back to stuff from just last year I really liked SSSS.Gridman.  I had also watched a few 2017 shows before making that top ten of 2017 post.

I'm pretty sure it was also this year I watched Slayers, and made some progress on the Lodoss War franchise.  And I watched the first Tenchi movie.

And I've been inspired to do a research project on 90s Hentai. I'm not sure when or if I'll actually post it, but right now the three center piece examples for it are stuff I watched in 2019.

In addition to all that I've also devoted some time to re-watching what I'd seen before.  Pokemon movies still help cheer me up when I'm down.  I finally did a full re-watch of Stiens:Gate when it was on SonyCrackle.  And most of Railgun I can say I've watched twice this year.

I have gained some enjoyment from what's new this year.  Given how fall started I'm suprised how many shows I'm currently following.  Isekai Cheat magician also proved pretty cool.

Outside of Anime, it's weird how the hot mess surrounding Rise of Skywalker has actually made me want to watch Star Wars content more then I had for awhile, expect posts about The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars early 2020.  And I'm very amused by the new Harley Quinn cartoon.  Also I loved the first three episodes of the CW's Crisis on Infinite Earths.  And I already posted on why I think this was a great year for movies.

The saddest news of course is that my Mom passed away on November 26th.  That's mainly why I posted so little in November.  I'm handling it pretty well though, I have Faith in the coming Resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment