Wednesday, February 26, 2020

What I like about Justice league 2017

No I do not still give it the 10 out of 10 I proclaimed it on this blog right after seeing it.

It's a flawed movie, I'm sure The Snyder Cut is better but as much of a apologist for Snyder's Superman movies as I've been his take on the DC Universe is still not my ideal.

But I enjoy the Theatrical version of Justice League because it got the characters right.  In terms of characterization that movie is genuinely in my opinion the best depictions of Superman or Batman ever seen in a theatrically released Live Action film.  And the other characters are great too

And I watch these kinds of movies first and foremost for the characters.  So I don't care how much of a mess the plot is or how inconsistent the tone and aesthetic turned out to be from switching directors.

With Superman the idea was always that the entire Trilogy is his origin story, so no this Superman isn't suddenly being more bright and cheerful solely because DC made Whedon course correct.  This was always the character Snyder was building.

With Batman as well how different he is from most of BvS naturally follows how BvS ends.  Honestly the only thing I expect to be different in the Snyder Cut is how Superman comes back, everything else is just a matter of Snyder's cut being longer and more fleshed out.  And I'm pretty sure the musical score will be better.

One of my favorite moments in the movie is when they go on their first team mission to rescue Cyborg's father and the other Star Labs people and Flash's fear suddenly catches up to him and he explains that to Batman.  I feel like a lot of writers would have defaulted to having Batman take a very General Patton approach to that situation.  Instead this movie has Batman take a very understanding and reasonable approach that worked out great.  That's the Batman I like to see, that's why he's a great mentor figure to the various Robins and Batgirls.

Still the movie does not shy away from the ways Batman can be difficult to get along with as we see when he first brings up the subject of resurrecting Superman and how he pisses off Diana.

This is core to why I say Ben Affleck is my favorite Live Action Batman regardless of the overall quality of the movies he's in.

Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman are all great in the film too.  Cyborg is perhaps not given the moments he needs to truly shine but is still good.

So next time you re-watch the movie just try to focus on that and shut up about plot holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment