Saturday, September 3, 2022

3 Episode Test Anime Gaiden

Today I'm officially three episodes into the Simuldubs of both Engage Kiss and Lycoris Recoil.  Meanwhile I'm also deep into Classroom of The Elite season 2.  And the only show still airing that I was watching last time I made one of these is the Simuldub of Lupin III Part 6.

Trixie The Golden Witch has retired from Anitube, which is truly the end of an era.  Her contributions to Internet Anime discourse in 2016 and 2017 were a big role in making me the Otaku I am today.  She will be missed.

Among the very first videos of hers I'd watched were the How to Spot a Great Anime in on Episode series, which was her deconstruction of the 3 episodes rule, which are a good analysis of some Anime pilots but I still disagree.  Her core point was that the 3 episodes rule is taking 3 episodes to figure out the Premise, but to her the premise of a show si what matter least because she can any premise hypothetically.  But that's where I'm different.

I can see the quality in pretty much anything, if I drop or refuse to even try something it's because the premise couldn't hook me.  I genuinely would prefer to watch something highly flawed that I find personally interesting or compelling then something perfectly executed that doesn't.

And these two Saturdaily Simuldubs I've been watching are good examples of that.  For both these 3rd episodes core aspects of the premise of the show have been made more clear.

However Lycoris Recoil is a show that pretty unambiguously already had my undivided attention.  With Engage Kiss however I spend much of episode 2 last week feeling like I'll probably drop it if episode 3 doesn't change anything.  Fortunately it did, it's now clear this isn't a standard Love Triangle and I am quite curious to see what happens going forward.

As for the other two shows I'm watching, I may need to wait till they are complete to really comment on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment