Thursday, February 9, 2023

Noir is my Favorite Anime again

I'd bumped it down from that position principally because I was concerned it was too atypical of my general tastes.  But it's not that Atypical, it is Bishoujo art style and almsot explicitly Yuri, and while Darker then average it's not the only Dark Anime I like, it's not even the darkest I give a 10/10.

The thing is there's no point in trying to make one single show the summary of everything I like about Anime, the shows I like are very diverse no matter how much I pretend there is some subtle ill-defined Otaku ideology behind all of them.  And that vague Otaku ideology I still see in Noir, it's simply teaching it in a different way.

The show is just too good, too perfectly executed while appealing to enough of my tastes that I can't demote it simply for not conforming to all of them.

It's a show that's constantly reminding me of other things I like, while being reminded of it when I watch those.  Girls with Guns as a genre seems to be making a come back lately with Lycoris Recoil and Akiba Maid Wars, Noir was arguably the original so it's perhaps more relevant then ever now.  But that's not the only new thing I had to appreciate about it in my most recent re-watch.

There are so many things I want to say about this show yet I don't feel qualified to say any of it.  It's subtle and it's blunt, it's realistic and yet also absurd, it has no typical Anime fanservice and yet one of the cleverest NTR scenes ever animated.

Even it's English Dub still holds up, maybe some of you are expecting any old ADV Dub with subject matter like this to be overly indulgent in the edgier inclinations of some of the people who worked there, but it's not, it only ever uses one swear word.  Three of the four leads are using voices very different from what you are likely to expect from them today, and the one who is very recognizable is still very good, it's a perfect voice that suits every character who has it.

It's now up on Crunchyroll and I was surprised to see that it's in 16:9, so yeah it felt like watching the show fresh in a way I never had before.  I recommend everyone give it a shot, it really is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment