Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Looking back on 2023

 For starters it’s my second year as a Detective Conan aka Case Closed fan, the only Movie I hadn’t already seen by the end of 2022 was the one that wasn’t out yet, which this year I as expected had to wait till November to see.  I enjoyed movie 26 but it might be the hardest movie to recommend to franchise newcomers. This year was also big for Conan fans in getting 50 new Dubbed episodes on Tubi, and the Dub for movie 24 The Scarlet Bullet was finally seemingly just before Christmas for Digital Purchase on Amazon PrimeVideo.  And on the main show some long awaited developments in the main storyline.

For Pretty Cure, Soaring Sky I do think is probably the best show we’ve gotten since Hugtto but I wasn’t able to finish it for reasons that have nothing to do with its quality.

The Pokémon Franchise gave us both Paldean Wings and Path to The Peak which were each very good.

Lupin III vs Cat’s Eye was decent, and this year also had some movies I still haven’t been able to see yet, like the Sailor Moon Cosmos movies and the second SAO Progressive movie.

And outside the realm of Anime was the Willow series which I mostly enjoyed but Disney decided to bury. And from Star Wars I enjoyed both Mandalorian season 3 and Ahsoka.

But let’s look at regular Seasonal Anime now.

Winter had 9 shows I watched to Completion, not all as they were airing, plus two that finished then from prior seasons.  Two of the sequels were In/Spectre which is still pretty cool and Vinland Saga which was also good.  

Tomo-Chan is a Girl was a fun RomCom, I’m not as into the main premise I think a lot of other people will be but I enjoyed it’s Kuudere character. I already made a post about her as a great new addition to the Kuudere Canon.  

Buddy Daddies is a show in an unfortunate situation because I suspect it will ultimately be mostly forgotten in Spy x Family’s shadow even though I think it was a more overall satisfying show.

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady kicked off this being perhaps the best year for Yuri since 2018.  It was a great show, very funny but also genuinely emotional.  And it ended in such a way where there is room for a season 2 but it won’t feel unfinished without one.

Onimai was awesome was awesome.

Uncle from Another World, Ningen, Fruit of Evolution season 2, and Rougo were all fun Isekai.  

I’ll share my thoughts on both seasons of Eminence in Shadow up front here, it’s good but I’m not gonna be as inclined to list it as a favorite as some other people are.

The Super Mario Bros movie and Across The Spider Verse were both great western Animated films.

Spring dropped an instant classic with Heavenly Delusion which I do hope gets a season 2. 

Honestly there are a lot of shows this year I haven't finished or watched yet but which I still might.  Like Tsundere VIllainess, and the second season of Tonikawa and Bofuri.

My Love Story with Yamada-Kun at lv999 was a very good RomCom Anime.  Dead Mount Deathplay was a fun new Reverse Isekai Premise.  Season 2 of Witch from mercury was also great but not something I have particular thoughts on.

My thoughts on Psycho-Pass Movie Providence I already tacked on to the end of my Dystopian Sci-FI post from earlier this year.

Yuri Is My Job was very fun as well, it kind of felt like a true throwback Yuri in the best way possible.

Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers is one of those shows that had a strong start but I don’t really like where it ended.

The main show I have complex thoughts on for the spring season is In Another World With my Smartphone season 2.  As someone who’s been season 1’s most vocal online evangelist since it aired back in 2017 I don’t like reporting that I felt disappointed by season 2, but I kind of do.  Part of it is how the Dub had to replace some cast members, but in a way that tried to keep people from noticing which only made those performances sound more forced.  It’s the kind of failed recasting I do not blame on the actors.  However I don’t think that’s the only reason I think this period in the story in the original LNs was perhaps a low point.  Also the confirmation that Leen is going to become one of the nine wives I don’t like.  I like Leen but as a mischievous perverted little gremlin side character, I don't think her as a main Waifu will work.

For another digression outside of Anime I watched The Flash and I did like it, but I don’t feel like going out on a limb for it.  My view that the accusations about Ezra Miller are pure Transphobia hasn’t changed.

The Summer season was pretty fun too.

Zom100 technically isn’t a show I completed but that’s because it’s one indefinite hiatus, it’s a fun show with blatant Marxist Subtext which I highly recommend.

Am I Actually The Strongest? Was another fun Isekai.

Liar Liar feels like a distinctly more light hearted take on the Battle Royal inspired genre, Death Game set up but without the Death, which it turns out appeals to me perfectly.

Rent-a-Girlfriend season 3 was great, the more frustrating aspects of the series were toned down this season to focus on our main characters actually achieving a goal and dealing with some real emotions.  I never agreed with the hate on the first two seasons but for season 3  anyone claiming they watched it and that it’s no better is simply lying.

Jobless Reincarnation season 2a was also good, don’t listen to the haters.

Fate/Strange Fake Whispers of Dawn was a neat little special and I wild definitely watch the full show when it airs.

For more non Anime digressions season 2 of Apple’s Foundation series was great, it massively improved on what I already enjoyed about season 1.  Now you have to accept that it's not Isaac Asimov’s vision at all, but once you accept it as its own thing it’s a perfectly enjoyable and interesting Sci-Fi show, perhaps the best the west has had since Caprica.

Dungeons & Dragons honor Among Thieves was also a more enjoyable movie then i expected, it’s the closest any Western Fantasy show can come to the appeal of an Isekai or “I can’t believe it’s not Isekai'' style Anime since it has that living in a Game world Vibes.  But without distinctly Otaku Elements has an even broader appeal.

Venture Brothers Radiant is The Blood of The Baboon’s Heart had a pretty satisfying movie if it indeed is the send off for that franchise it’ll have been a fitting one.

The Fall season I’m most hesitant to even cover here since it isn’t over yet.  

I did watch two Netflix Anime in October, Good Night World and Pluto which were both awesome, and then November had a neat Slime Reincarnation ONA.  Besides that there’s only 4 shows I’ve watched to completion, one I already covered up above.  There are a number of shows I put On Hold that I feel there’s a strong chance I will return to like Frieren.

I’m In Love With The Villainess was fantastic, another required viewing for Yuri fans.

Tearmoon Empire was also cute and fun.

16bit Sensation Another Layer was a great show with Deep Cuts for someone like me who's spent the last two years researching the history of Visual Novels and Dating Sims and related game genres.

For one last non Anime addition I saw  Rebel Moon Part 1 but I’ve decided to stick to Mastadon for expressing my thoughts on it.

I suppose Suzume can count since it’s not originally from 2023 but the Dub I watched probably is, it was good.  I could also add Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War - The Kiss That Never Ends, which was very good.

If I included everything I watched for the first time in 2023 but which is actually older this post would be twice as long.  A lot of them were via browning Tubi.TV.  Some of them I’ve already discussed in various Blog Posts.

If anything new is added before midnight on Christmas Eve I’ll add an Update.  In the meantime Happy New Years.

Update December 28th: Well I just finished BOFURI season 2, which also happens to be my 900th completed Anime.

No comments:

Post a Comment