Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Ten year anniversaries to 2014 Anime

 Perhaps it’s odd that these weren’t the first 2024 anniversaries I thought of talking about since 2014 is when I started this blog, and using Blogspot in general.

I don’t think 2014 can be considered a turning point or pivotal year for Anime the way 2004 and 2017 can.  But what it is important to is my personal history with Anime.

That I still consider 2014 in some sense the beginning of my Anime journey is difficult to explain, I was definitely already familiar with a number of Anime, even some niche ones you wouldn’t expect to be among the few a Western Comic Book Nerd has seen, educated enough on Yuri specifically to recognize the Class S allusion in Mariko/Yukio in The Wolverine in 2013.  Yet it wasn’t till 2016 that it truly took over and I became willing to call myself an Otaku.

Sailor Moon Crystal and the 90s Anime going up on Hulu got my attention as I’d always had some interest in Sailor Moon but had not truly completed any series of it yet.  And then from that Hulu recommendations at the time lead me to Madoka Magica and then Utena and then Rose of Versallies.

SMC was the first time I even kinda watched something as it originally aired in Japan.  But there were at least 2 other 2014 shows I had seen before 2015 was over, Engaged to The Unidentified and Yuki Yuna Is A Hero.

YuYuYu and Wixoss together make 2014 perhaps the year that “Madoka Clones”, became cemented as its own Sub Genre.  Season 2 of Chunibyo airing that year is an interesting coincidence.  As well as the second season of Prisma Illya.

No Game No Life was a show I watched early on in my taking an interest in Isekai.

Other fun shows of 2014 include D-Frag which could have been the new School Rumble if it’d gotten more seasons, Aldnoah Zero and Terror in Resonance are both shows I consider underrated.  Akuma No Riddle and Is The Order A Rabbit were also notable.  The Coffin Princess is a show I have On Hold.  Akame Ga Kill and SAO II are also from 2014.  Amagi Brilliant Park, Psycho-Pass 2, Unlimited Blade Works and Magic Kaito 1412 ended the year strong.

Sakura Trick is a show I was surprised to see was that recent, it is perhaps the last show that could be mistaken for a Bronze Age show.

The Detective Conan movie of that year was The Dimensional Sniper the last film written by the guy who wrote most of the prior ones and first to feature Sera Masumi or the FBI characters.  It's one of the better movies, probably the best of it's decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment