Sunday, August 27, 2017

My advice to Zack Snyder.

First off, I want to offer my condolences on the loss of his daughter, Autumn earlier this year.

Chances are because of that he won't be directing any new movies for awhile.

But my advice is that if and when he does return to directing, he should take a break from Comic Book Movies and try doing some Anime adaptations.  I feel like Snyder's style is better suited to adapting Anime into Live Action, he's clearly been influenced by Anime already.  I did a post on wanting LA versions of Anime to be Colorful, and Snyder I feel would do that, the muted coloring in Man of Steel was the result of Nolan's influence, Watchman shows he is great at directing vibrantly colored films.

He got attached to adapting Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead at some point, who knows if it's actually still in active production.  I think doing something with no SciFi or Fantasy aspect is not going to be Snyder's strong suit at all.  Either way as a former Libertarian-Capitalist and current Libertarian-Communist the last thing I want is more exposure for Rand's so called Libertarianism.

I have enjoyed every Snyder film I've seen except Dawn of The Dead.  And all things considered I greatly appreciate what he's done in establishing the new DC Universe.  But Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman better reflect where I want that universe to go moving forward.  And Justice League will finish Snyder's vision effectively being the third film of his Superman Trilogy.

Snyder's approach of being visually experimental while also having a dark tone isn't what audiences expect from Comic Book Movies.  We're more used to Dark=Gritty and Realistic for those.

Not every Anime would be ideal for Snyder, I feel like Nolan would be best for Noir, and Gundam by the same people handling Star Wars.  And I'd overall prefer Women be entrusted with Magical Girl adaptations.  However....

Madlax, Lupin III depending on which kind of Lupin Anime they're drawing on, Future Diary, Attack on Titan, Kabenari of the Iron Fortress, maybe Code Geass.  Are examples of Anime where if a Western Live Action version is ever green-lite, I think perhaps Snyder might be the best guy for the job.  I would also sorta add just about any Nasuverse story, including Canaan which may not actually count as Nasuverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment