Monday, June 11, 2018

Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Star Wars

I know I just said on Tumblr that I don't want to talk about my dissatisfaction with Disney's Star Wars anymore.  Well I'm not doing that here directly at all here, this is just me talking about what could have been a good way to follow up ROTJ.

A scenario that could have interested me for a post ROTJ Galaxy is something similar to what we have in LOTGH.  The Empire and the Rebels now on somewhat equal footing.  But with the situation complicated by the New Republic having it's own Fascist tendencies and good people being allowed to exist on the Empire's side.

This post can also be viewed as a bit of a follow up to Legend of The Galactic Fascists.  At first Episode 8 (who's Dub just dropped so that's how far I am currently), had me thinking that this Empire is more like WWI Germany that Nazi Germany (with the use of Kaiser being a clue that was the case all along) a system where a good chunk of Feudalism still exists.

But then they reminded me of the "inferior Genes act".  Of course it's implied that's not the law at all anymore.  Perhaps Rudolf was a sort of Hitler but under successive Emperors a Nazish regime morphed into something more Feudal.

Going back to the Fascist tendencies shown on the Republic's side.  I can't help but wonder if maybe the Empire is more Nazi and the Fascists in the Republic are more Mussolini style Fascists.

Again, it would have been refreshing to see a Star Wars saga where the objective was for the two sides to find peace, and not simply a continuous cycle of needing to wipe out mustache twirling villains.

The more I think about it, the more purely Superficial the Fascism of the Empire in Star Wars always was.  The things it had in common with Fascism or Nazism it also shares with other Totalitarian regimes like North Korea, or the USSR, or the old British Empire, or Napoleon's and of course Ancient Rome.

The Empire had no Nationalism, it may look like the ruling class is all one species, but a Nationalist Empire wouldn't neglect to include the name of the Fatherland in how they refer to themselves.    It really always was just Totalitarian for Totalitarinaism's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment