Monday, June 18, 2018

More Pretty Cure coverage

I said I’d start this week with finishing the first Glitter Force. And I did, it was pretty good, I think the Superbot episode may be my favorite. 

I decided to watch some more Pretty Cure movies before going to another series.  The Smile and Doki Doki films and then the 6th Allstar film.  And they were all pretty good.

And then I finished the Canadian Dub of the original Futari Wa Pretty Cure.  It was pretty darn good. 

Hugtto! PreCure episode 20 was quite worth it’s build up.  I then watched episode 2 of Go Princess which was good.

I watched the first episode of Pretty Cure MaxHeart.  Main reason I want to watch at least some of this before the relatively stand alone movies (I already downloaded the two MaxHeart movies) is to get to know Shiny Luminous.  I’ve seen her in the Allstar movies but she hasn’t done much, she gets the least attention being seemingly just the OG Duo’s third wheel.  Heck the ending CG dance sequence practically symbolizes that as she just stands there while the Duo jump all over the place doing their iconic poses.

And as of the first episode I still don’t know her much, they’re holding off on the formal introduction.  But I was quickly able to guess that she’s the Queen’s reincarnation or has her Heart or some such mystical BS.

There is also a point where the MaxHeart ED song has me thinking of a very specific 50s or 60s American Pop Song, but I can’t put my finger on it.

After the second episode, it’s clear that it’s gonna take a full Arc for HIkari to awaken as Cure Luminous. If the Canadian Dub had continued into MaxHeart, I wonder what Western name they’d give Hikari?  Given her mysterious vibe maybe they could have decided not to change it similar to Hotaru in Sailor Moon S, the Blonde being the only one with a Japanese name would be kinda funny.  It might be she was drawn as Blonde because they wanted her to seem vaguely foreign.

Episode 3 goes for a pretty blatant Omen homage.  On the subject of Cure Black’s costume redesign.  I don’t have any problem with covering up the midriff, but the additional Pink splashed onto it is really jarring.

Having finished episode 5, there is an observation I need to make.  It might be controversial since Pretty Cure is a Shoujo Anime presumably not meant to be Otaku driven at all.  But Hikari is the embodiment of Moe.  I read an analysis of Moe once that linked it to feelings of Nostalgia, and the word Nostalgia is being linked to Hikari quite a bit.  She is a quite adorable innocent younger girl that the protagonists are driven to “Protecc”.

No comments:

Post a Comment