Sunday, November 8, 2020

Fall 2020 Anime Dubs finally start rolling out

The Day I Became A God had a very entertaining pilot, I’m certainly gonna keep watching it.

By The Grace of The Gods also had a decent pilot, it has my attention for now.

Our Last Crusade of The Rise of A New World episode 2 was also good.  I’m annoyed at this show getting called a “Romeo and Juliet with magic” or something along those lines.  I get that it’s common to make that analogy for any romance between people on opposing sides plot, but sometimes it’s worded as if it’s as similar as West Side Story was and this one is not.  But in the context of Anime we have shows named after Romeo and Juliet that are just as different from The Bard’s version as this is.

If it’s going to be compared to something based on a very basic premise I’d prefer the Bright comparison I made last week.  But I suppose that too can be viewed as arbitrary, I suppose there are technically other Anime I’ve seen that have as much in common with that premise and I really can’t explain why this is the one making my mind go there, it simply is.

HigurashiGou episode 6 was enjoyable.  I guess Takano does Shaft Head Tilts now.

A Dub for Gou with a new Cast has been announced.  I’ll give it a shot but I’m someone who actually is a fan of the old Dub cast.  If this new cast does turn out to be good then they need to Dub all of it with them, because Gou should NOT be anyone's entry point to this franchise. 

Well I watched the Dub of the first episode of HigurashiGou, besides the after credit scene this is pretty much the same as the old pilot so it’s the most direct comparison.  The new Dub cast will definitely take getting used to, but I don’t want to be unfair.  I feel my brain is criticizing things it probably wouldn't if I weren’t comparing it to a prior Dub I’m kind of attached to.  The only thing I feel close to being able to say maybe doesn’t work right are those moments where the camera zooms in on Rena or Mion’s mouth to imply they’re hiding something.

Of the three characters I particularly praise the old Dub’s VAs for only one is in this pilot and that would be RIka Furude.  Yu Apphia is an actress I’m a fan of from other stuff, she’s one of the handful I follow on twitter.  But those are very different kinds of roles mostly, her roles in Wixoss for example are characters who are “normal” by Anime standards, and some are fairly Kuudere.  

I suppose some people feel the opposite of me about Rebecca Forstadt’s Rika.  Part of the problem is since they only did season 1 she only has a select few moments to do her Dark Rika voice but for me it was enough to show she had this dual voice character down.  I also know some people give certain Dub Voice Actresses crap for being technically too old for a character even though Japan does the same thing.  Rebecca is the oldest actress to voice Rika but all of them were adults and Rika is mentally older than her physical age, and Moe voices are not meant to sound like authentic children.  Yu is probably the youngest actress who’s voiced the character but Rebecca’s Moe voice definitely sounds better.  We still haven’t gotten to hear Yu’s Dark Rika yet however.

Assault Lily Bouquet episode 2’s title is a direct reference to the Song of Songs chapter 2 verse 1.  This show is truly going all in on it’s Yuri tropes, it’s basically Strawberry Panic with an action show premise.

I also watched the first episode of Yashahime now that it’s Dub has dropped.  As I said before I want to be the one person watching and publicly commenting on this show with the perspective of having not already seen Inuyasha.  In that context how much of this first episode focused on the old show’s cast rather than the new one was not what I was hoping for, though it also reminded me of This Year’s Girl being the first episode of Buffy I watched which was not a bad experience.  

Still I feel the general best route for a next generation sequel is to focus the pilot on introducing the new characters and then get us up to speed on the in-between history and the original cast later, that’s the approach I feel generally best works for both potential newcomers and the older fans.  That way the start can work as a stand alone pilot while also making the returning fans wonder what happened.  Then when the reveals do come, for the new fans it can be the same as any other worldbuilding or backstory exposition you’d get in Fantasy stories that aren’t sequels.

The Day I Became A God episode 2 was amusing, it seems in Japan people still remember the 1998 film Armageddon.

The pilot of Warlords of Sigridrifa was interesting. It looks like Odin is popular this season.  Also I suspect there was a Doctor Strangelove homage at the beginning.

Well at 11:30 Central on Saturday November 7th 2020  the last sub-season of Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld started airing on Toonami. SAO is a uniquely difficult show for me to even comment on, so I may not even bother including in future Anime 2020 posts.

At any rate this episode brings Sinon and Suguha into the action and they are my favorites.  I don’t get why so many Anime refer to Human Pigs as Orcs?  To me Humanoid Pigs as armies serving a dark lord are Moblins from Zelda first and foremost, but that term I assume only Nintendo is allowed to use.

By The Grace of The Gods episode 2 was pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment