Sunday, November 29, 2020

Honorifics rant and more Fall Anime 2020

 HigurashiGao episode 9 is indeed introducing another Teppei timeline. 

The classic Higurashi Dub was perfectly willing to say Sama when referring to OyashiroSama, but the Gou Dub we now know from episode 3 is instead saying Lord Oyashiro.  That is a regressive change antithetical to the direction I want Dubs to go in.  On the other hand I do prefer Demoned-Away to the more cumbersome “spirited away by the Demon”.  But the Sama change is going to have an ultimately bigger impact, this doesn’t bode well, are they also gonna chicken out of saying Nii Nii?

For me this kind of breaks my ability to enjoy this Dub.  I want Honorifics to be just left untranslated in general, but some are more important than others.  And Sama when used as the epithet of a deity is perhaps the most important, because yes we do use the English Lord in that way, but kind of only for Jesus and/or Yahweh, you don’t see a lot of “Lord Zeus” in Greek mythology films.  And there’s also the fact that Sama is gender neutral while Lord is not, when Subs translate Sama being used for a female it’s usually Lady or Mistress.  The Gender Ambiguity of Oyashiro is actually quite important.

And thing is I wasn’t even prepared for this to be an issue after the more than a decade old Dub knew to get this right.  Is the old Dub so irrationally hated that Funimation thinks they have to do everything different just for the sake of being different?  The Yuki Yuna Is A Hero dub also understood this.  Is this a general difference between LA Dubs and Texas Dubs?

I decided to give Our Last Crusade or The Rise of the New World another shot, I finished episode 4 and watched episode 5.  They were good but I wonder if this time they tried to do a whole Light Novel in only 2 episodes.

Episode 3 of that Million Lives Isekai was not what I expected, there were some interesting developments.

Assault Lily Bouquet episode 4.  Yuyu seems very different now that we’re actually getting inside her head.  YuRI as their in universe ship name is hilarious.  There was a genuine Spit Take, I always think of Garfield and Friends when I think of Spit Takes.  This show is shaping up to be quite fun.

Yashahime episode 4 was pretty enjoyable as well.  I am perhaps more confused than Inyuasha fans would be but that’s fine.

I just watched Talentless Nana episode 9.  The problem with comparing this show to Death Note is it has so many unforeseeable variables being thrown at Nana right from the start.  People sometimes complain about how much Misa was an unfair disadvantage thrown at Light but that was still over a Cour into the show, L had already gotten onto Light’s trail solely because of Light’s own mistakes made because of his hubris, she was introduced exactly when the show needed a Wild Card to spice things up.  Nana seems to have had the deck stacked against her from the start.

I was not able to complete By The Grace of The Gods episode 4, it was always the least compelling show I was watching this season, and now it’s officially gotten boring.  So it is now Dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment