Saturday, February 17, 2018

So the Live Action Sword Art Online is going to be done by Netflix.

And like when the Death Note project started I don't know if it'll be a series or a movie.

With Death Note I have always been adamant that that should be a serialized story.  But Sword Art Online is more complicated.

The first Web Novel was a stand alone project originally.  And as such I think it could work as a stand alone film, though it would need to be longer then the Death Note movie was.  However if it's a movie I think I'd be a shame to miss out on getting a theatrical release.

Thing is, some of my personal favorite stuff from Aincrad wasn't in the original Novel, but based on the short stories written for the second novel. Like Scillica and Lizbeth's episodes.

Later on SAO however becomes something definitely written in the hopes it would get an Anime.

Now as far as the inevitable debate about westernizing it.  Which I don't know if it'll do that but it probably will.  I'm not against adapting stories to a different setting, it just depends how it's handled.  I feel a lot of the inherent outrage would die down if the American lead could be a type of American other then White for once.  In this case if I were doing it I would have both Kirito and Asuna be ethnically Japanese, even if I set it in America, and later that would add Suguha.

Fortunately the show has a pretty well written African American character right in the source material.  Seriously I don't think people appreciate how much credit SAO should get for not drawing Agil like an early WB black face cartoon.  That look is still pretty common in Anime because Japan just doesn't know why it happened or why it's offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment