Sunday, May 13, 2018

Anime Weekly Updates, Omer 36: Magical Girl Site and Bullying

I don't have anything to say about the Anime I've watched this week.  Just be aware that I'm still following all the same shows I was last week.

What I do want to do is briefly comment again on why I'm enjoying Magical Girl Site.

Gigguk in his Spring 2017 Anime video was very dismissive of the show.  Talking about it like how over the top the bullying is makes it so he can't take it seriously.

As someone who actually did experience bullying in School, and knows full well many others had it worse then I did.  It's the watered down treatment of bullying in most High School fiction like Mean Girls I can't take seriously.  To the point where I'd rather they not address it at all if they're not gonna go all the way with it.

The reason so many people out there are so dismissive of Bullying, the reason they can get away with saying people need to just "Man up" and take it or stand up for themselves.  Is because they don't know what it's actually like, that it's unending unrelenting psychological torture.

One of the many reasons it saddens me that IMDB's message boards are gone is because of it's board for the 2003 lifetime movie Odd Girl Out.  It was filled with comments from people who experienced bullying in school saying this was the one movie that depicted it right.  The one time someone tried to start a thread saying they found it unrealistic it got countless responses from people testifying to how very realistic it was.  So I hate that all of that documentation is gone.

Now my solution to this problem isn't the same as others speaking out about it would propose.  I think we simply shouldn't have a Public School System, or at least not in the form it is now.  When you take humans who aren't fully developed away from their parents for half their waking hours and put them into a microcosm of society, these problems are inevitable.  For most of human history we understood that this was not a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment