Thursday, May 3, 2018

Infinity War has reignited my excitement for Superhero movies.

It's difficult to explain my feelings here.  Since on an individual basis I have generally been liking the Phase Three MCU films the best so far, and yet at the same time was kind of tiring of them as a whole.

But I really wanted the DC Cinematic Universe to be better as someone who's more of a DC fan.  And so when I wound up feeling disillusioned with Batman V Superman it began a slow fading out of my interest in the genre.  And it helped that my discovery of Anime gave me something to fill that void.

It would never have been completely gone, as Batman in particular is my oldest Fandom and and for a long time this genre was the center piece of my Geekdom.  But the last three DC movies were all ones I left the theaters with initially high praise for but that I slowly soured on.  And that it's been basically the same with the new Star Wars movies had me feeling that I may have only Anime to rely on.

But Infinity War was amazing, it managed to truly feel like a Crisis level Event done on the Big Screen in Live Action with Live Actors.

And the knowledge that Donna Troy will be coming to the Titans show they're making also livens me up.

So my investment in this genre is renewed.  Anime is still gonna gonna be what this Blog talks about the most.  But I no longer feel like it was going to inevitably become an Anime only blog.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been burnt out by the MCU for a couple years back, I went into Infinity War wondering if it'd be the movie that delivered on twenty films of hype. I walked out thinking "that was fine". It had cool set pieces. He had a theoretically amazing premise, and a few great shots (I particularly loved the low-angle, long take where Tony and Dr. Strange walk out to see what's stirring up all the racket), but I felt like most of the moments were unearned. Thanos is undoubedtly the best villain in the MCU (which isn't saying much, considering the MCU's standard for villain writing), but Thanos only had this film to establish his character, as he simply stood around and grinned like a stereotypical villain for each cameo scene he appeared in since the Avengers. Thanos was underdeveloped compared to everyone else, and - as David Stewart pointed out in two of his videos on IW - Thanos' motivates fall apart when you look at the logic behind "wiping out half the universe to prevent resource scarcity and to ensure high QoL". I praise Infinity War for its sincerity. It was a breath of fresh air to have characters be soft-spoken with each other and not crack a snarky one-liner every five minutes, but the MCU's resistance to allowing consequences to stick permanently undermined the stakes of the story.

    That said, I did enjoy the film, and would recommend to anyone who has been enjoying the MCU as well. I'll watch Infinity War part 2 to see how this eight year long storyline will end, but I don't see myself sticking with the MCU afterwards.

    ReplyDelete