Tuesday, May 22, 2018

For me there still is no ideal Superman movie.

For Batman, The Dark Knight was perfect enough that I could have been happy never getting another Batman film.  But Superman hasn't been so lucky.

I'm saying this even though I have ultimately settled on a relatively positive opinion of Batman V Superman.  That film's takes on Batman and Superman are valid takes.  They're not the takes I prefer, but frankly they are closer to what I prefer then either Christopher Reeve or Michael Keaton.

We still don't have an ideal Superman movie, but Man of Steel is to my tastes much better then any of the Donner films, and the best characterization of Superman on the big screen so far is what we got in Justice League.

On YouTube, TheFear97, Twin Perfect and iamthatroby have some good video essays defending Snyder's Superman movies.  I know most in the Video Essay genre love to beat up on Snyder's films, from Folding Ideas to KyleKallgrenBHH to FilmJoy, all people who've done some other work I really like.  So I wanted to point out that an alternate perspective does exist.

I don't have a problem with people disliking Man of Steel and BvS, but I have a problem with people saying things about those films that are provably false.  Like that Clark never smiles, or never does anything Heroic, or never tries to take the fight away from populated areas.

I don't even think there is a truly great Animated Superman movie.  Brainiac Unbound is the best Aniamted Superman movie so far, and Allstar Superman is a good love letter to the Silver Age Superman.  But nothing like Mask of The Phantasm is for Batman.

As far as Superman on TV goes, I like what we got in the first two episodes of season 2 of Supergirl.  I have a complex relationship with Smallville, the first 3 seasons I think were perfect, season 4 remained pretty close with bringing Lois in too soon being the main issues, but regardless Commencement was the show's best episode, it was great.

The best adaptations of Superman stories that involve acting however I think are the BBC radio dramas.  I wasn't fond of the Trail of Superman, but The Adventures of Superman which adapted John Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries, and then their adaptation of The Death and Return of Superman, are pretty darn great.

We now have two Batman Animes.  So it's a shame there seems to be no interest in doing an official Superman Anime.  Superman's been an influence on Anime, the Fleischer shorts influenced the Grandfather of Anime, in fact the second one in particular may be why the Mecha Genre exists.  And it's not a coincidence that Tetsuo puts on a Red Cape in Akira.

A long time ago, before I was that into Anime, I heard a claim that some 80s Japanese Cartoon was about a character who's Superman and Wonder Woman's daughter in the future which they somehow got away with even though it wasn't done with DC's approval.  I never remembered what it's name was.  Lately my mind wandered to that subject again and so I googled it, and it was an Anime called Project A-Ko, a movie I'd just recently heard Digibro mention a few times since he and May did a commentary for it.  Apparently it too has been a very influential Anime.

So I watched the movie and it was a pretty fun, I could see it being the premise of one of those old Silver Age Imaginary Stories, except for what's uniquely Anime about it, which is arguably everything.  I also watched the Dub which I think was pretty good, sometimes it sounds silly but the movie itself is silly.

The character of B-Ko we are at one point told has a rich father, and then she starts creating Mechs and stuff.  I immediately thought, that must be Lex Luther's daughter.  But I knew this movie came out in 86, when the CEO Lex was just introduced in the Comics, it felt unlikely that could have influenced something in Japan that quickly pre-Internet.  And yet the nature of their rivalry had me thinking she must be the Luther in this scenario.

Then after finishing the movie I read on Wikipedia that she's supposed to be Tony Stark's daughter.  That took me by surprise, this is over 20 years before the MCU, why was Iron Man of all people the Marvel character they wanted to incorporate?

But I then watched the movie a second time along with Digi&May's commentary, this time Subbed.  And now I'm definitely seeing the Tony Stark in her.  It makes sense one would confuse an Iron Man based character with Lex when in a Superman context.  Because Tony Stark basically is Lex Luthor as a good guy.  I know the CEO Lex was originally compared to The Kingpin, but as time goes on fans came to prefer a Lex who can be both the Billionaire and the Mad Scientist at the same time, and that makes him into Tony Stark.

So this is basically a Fan Fiction about Superman & Wonder Woman and Iron Man having daughters who are Lesbians fighting over the same girl.  That actually got Animated.

Maybe next Disney will buy out Warner and then the Marvel Cinematic Universe and DC Cinematic Universe can merge together and create a live action Project A-Ko adaptation with cameos from Henry Cavil, Gal Gadot and Robert Downy Jr.

BTW, there was also a Wonder Woman anime in 1978 according to My Anime List.

Update: Apparently the Wonder Woman cartoon I mentioned above is actually South Korean, she looks like Wonder Woman but they make her an Alien.   I've found it online but not with Subs.

No comments:

Post a Comment