Wednesday, May 2, 2018

SaGa Frontier deserves some credit in the History of Female Representation in Video Games.

First off, yes it is still problematic that out of 7 main protagonists only 2 are women while 4 are men, it is good that the Robot seems to be defined gender neutrally.

What I like however is that the main supporting characters for the female leads are also women.  It annoys me how in movies like Rogue One the progress made by having a female lead is undermined by her still being given all men as her supporting cast.

First I should back up and provide some context.

SaGa Frontier has a unique premise among JRPGs, each protagonist has a completely different story, but they are all taking place in the same world, visiting the same cities on the same map and having largely the same side-quests.  It's an interesting premise I'd like to see more of.

Aselus story is probably the most blatantly Feminist, the main villain is quite literally a Feudal Patriarch.  And she is canonically Gay, it's not just subtext.

Emelia's two main supporting party members are Annie and Best Girl Liza.  This story is definitely about straight women however, though I'm sure it's inspired just as much Femslash fan fiction.

I can see being annoyed at how much Emelia's story is about her Boyfriend, being framed for his murder and then once out of prison being motivated by wanting to find the real killer and get revenge.  Thing is, that's a pretty common story for Male protagonists, in Film Noirs and Neo-Noirs, their wife or girlfriend is killed and they're framed for it.  So I found it interesting to see a woman get that story for a change.

There is a lot more to these stories, but I've decided I don't want to spoil too much.

I haven't actually played this game yet, I'm going off Let's Plays here.  But I think I might be able to handle it better then most RPGs.  Like Mario RPG it doesn't have random encounters, it looks kinda like Mario RPG in a lot of ways really.  It also looks beautiful and has wonderful Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment