Sunday, July 1, 2018

HIDIVE vs Crunchyroll Engaged to the Unidentified subtitles.

I just watched the first episode of Engaged to the Unidentified on Crunchyroll.  And as I expected the Subs it had when I watched it many times on a certain illegitimate site a few years ago were taken from Crunchyroll.

Last year I watched the first episode on HIDIVE, a new legal streaming site I kind of wanted to become an enthusiastic supporter of at the time.  But the subs were different there, and every difference I noticed felt inferior.

Now when it comes to lines like "Kobeni blew her top" and "Domestic violence already" which are from the Crunchyroll version, I don't know nearly enough about Japanese to say which is more accurate, and my preference for the Crunchyroll version could just be that being what I watched first and got very used to.

But there is one change I feel I can give a meaningful opinion on.

Every-time Benio refers to Mashiro a Mashiro-Tan, the Crunchyroll subs say Mashiro-Tan.  But on HIDIVE they subtitled it as "Marshmallow".

The thing is, the liberty HIDIVE took here is one I could have been fine with in a Dub, if this show ever gets a Dub it'll probably not use Honorfics like most sadly, so having Benio nick name Mashiro "Marshmallow" would be a clever creative liberty.

But in a Sub, when I can hear what Benio is actually saying, it's distracting and annoying.

So my advice to people interested in watching this show is to use Crunchyroll.  Though it's not a show well suited for Normies anyway.

However neither site seems to have the OVAs, which surprises me, HIDIVE has OVAs for many of their series but not this one.

Update: I decided to go to HIDIVE again for the first time in awhile after posting this.  And now they've increased the amount of stuff you can only do as a Subscriber (I wanted to use them for re-watching Higurashi Kai).  So screw them, you've just lost my potential ad support and given it to pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment