Saturday, November 3, 2018

Dubbing Old Anime

It used to be the most current Anime wasn't the only stuff getting Dubbed, in fact in the mid 2000s probably most of what you'd see on the New Release shelf was stuff that was at least 5 years old in Japan.

A pretty large percentage, maybe even the majority, of 90s Anime that has a Dub wasn't Dubbed while it was still the 90s.  Not even all of Sailor Moon, the Cloverway Dub of S started airing in 2000.  From Gundam Wing to Wedding Peach, a lot of Anime that's 90s in Japan is really 00s Nostalgia for Western Otaku.  Heck even some 80s OVAs got Dubbed in the 2000s.

The market has changed since then, and while I love that a dozen shows are getting Simuldubbed every season, that does mean less resources for finding time to Dub old Gems that got passed over at the time.

It's still fairly normal for something that doesn't get Simuldubbed to take like two years to get a Dub.  But once something is three years old it seems like there is no hope.  Stuff from early this decade like Dog Days and Daybreak Illusion already feel like if they're not Dubbed already they never will be.  Re:Creators was big enough that it'll probably get a Dub in 2019, but if it doesn't by the end of that year then it probably won't.

Viz Media is still doing their Redub of Sailor Moon, but that's it as far as dubbing Old Anime goes.  I'm mostly not gonna be requesting Redubs however, I'm fine with even the Dubs of Utena and Higurashi and when it comes to Pokemon I'm the biggest 4Kids apologist you'll ever meet.  Sailor Moon was the one that needed a do over for the sake of HaruMi and Zoiscite.  Now that that's being taken care of any time spent dubbing Classics into English should be devoted to works that have no existing English audio track.

I feel like it ought to be possible to make room for more old Dubs.  As a pretty big Dub enthusiast I don't really think JoJo is worth spending money to Dub, people only really like JoJo for the Memes of how the Japanese Actors sound.  So maybe Funimation should give up on that and find some skipped over classic instead?

I don't hate on Sentai Dubs the way many do, but their one attempt at a Simuldub I watched didn't turn out well, maybe they inherently do better Dubbing stuff after the fact and so maybe they should give up on Simuldubs and and try to Dub some of the old stuff they have access to, like Gunbuster or classic LOTGH, or Kampfer.

And maybe this is another place Netflix could be our savior, since they want to only do Binge releases, maybe they should stop hogging the rights to recent shows and zero in on some classics.  Stranger Things shows their target audience includes a lot of people looking for Nostalgia trips.

I'm willing to watch stuff Subbed, but I do so fairly rarely (besides PreCure which I've given up any hope on getting Dubbed in a reasonable manner), I sometimes wonder if I might have mild undiagnosed Dyslexia or ADD since it's sometimes flat out hard to follow when I have to read while I'm watching it.  Which is why I probably can't get into Monogatari either way, as it was originally Animated it's constantly throwing text on the screen, I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and have no idea what was going on.  For whatever reason I tend to do best with Cute Girls doing Cute Things shows.

So there are so many old Anime that interest me, where the lack of a Dub has certainly delayed my impulse to dive in.  (Meanwhile most stuff I've enjoyed Subbed I want to hear what my favorite Dub VAs could do with it.)  And there are still a lot of people less willing to watch stuff Subbed then I am, lots of people who could be potential fans of great not yet Dubbed classics.

There is a lot of stuff that is still long over due for a Dub.  Rose of Versailles still having no English Dub is a travesty,(meanwhile from what I hear it's French Dub could use a do over).  Not to mention the Green Jacket Lupin III series, and what's left of Red Jacket, and the TV specials that were skipped over like Episode 0.

Now that Dubbers have gained more faith in Yuri titles, how about Strawberry Panic and Yuru Yuri?  And with Traps being more a trend then ever maybe Stop! Hibari-Kun.

And with the Magical Girl Market growing I'd say it's about time Saint Tail and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and the rest of the Nanoha franchise got dubbed, as well as the Pretty Sammy shows since Tenchi still has a fan-base.  And whoever has that Dub that was made for Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pichi, please drop it on Crunchyroll, it's literally free money.

Also Aniplex, for the love of God dub Kara No Kyoukai.

Well those are some examples of what I personally wanna see. Feel free to comment with what you wanna see get Dubbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment