Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Wolverine, a Western Comic Book Superhero film for Weebs

The Wolverine is so far the only of the FoX-Men movies I really like, though I haven't seen the Deadpool movies yet.  To me even the first two X-Men films are overrated and I kind of flat out hate Logan.

The Wolverine isn't perfect, all the Jean Grey stuff was just a distraction thrown in to tie into a movie most people forgot about.  And I could go on about how Yukio's ability doesn't make sense as a Mutant power, and how I further feel "you're technically dead if your heart stops for a few seconds" shouldn't count towards paranormal premonitions, yet it constantly does when a fictional story needs it to.  But all things considered it's a good Superhero film.

What's interesting is how it relates to my history as an Otaku.  I've been on this blog defining my deep dive into Anime as beginning in 2014, and I didn't truly become an Otaku till some point in 2016.  But I remember when this movie came out in Summer 2013 already knowing enough about one particular aspect of Anime to immediately recognize a possible allusion to Class S in the relationship between Yukio and Mariko, and I have indeed shipped them ever since, I think I'd mentioned it on Tumblr at the time.

Still, I re-watched the film recently and how much more I "know" about Japan now definitely added to the experience, the film's use of Honorifics and Sibling terminology, the Pachinco Parlor and the Love Hotel, all things I notice now that I didn't really notice back then.

I have never read the original Comic Story-line about Wolverine in Japan, I might in the future.  But it's interesting how even the role that plays in my ability to enjoy this film more then most Nerds relates to how my lack of Manga and Light Novel reading helps me enjoy Anime.  I'm not constantly looking for changes to complain about, just enjoying the film for how it works as a film.  For plenty of other Western Superhero franchises I do know enough about the source material to care somewhat, but the X-Men have never mattered that much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment