Monday, December 24, 2018

The Dark Knight is a decade old now

I should have done this post closer to the actual anniversary, but I wasn't in the right mindset for Batman during the Summer.

I remember being on IMDB's TDK board back in 2008, and while the movie was all the rage at that time, some people wanted to insist it wouldn't stand the test of time the way Batman 89 and Nicholson's Joker already had.  Well here we are a decade later and the Video Essay genre that has emerged on YouTube over the last four years has been largely built on this film being a go to example on how to do a Superhero film and a great villain right.

Ironically, it's myself who'd adamantly declared the movie the Greatest of All Time back then, who has toned down my rhetoric a bit.  It's still the best Batman film, Ledger is still the best Joker and Gary Oldman still the best Gordon.  But I now think Ben Affleck is a better Bruce Wayne then Cristian Bale, and it has some competition for the title of my favorite movie now, and none were films that came out years later.  One was from the same year, Speed Racer, which I didn't see till more recently, and another is Miyazaki's Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind.  And while the 3rd Pokemon movie was one I was already familiar with in 2008, I've recently come to consider it possibly on TDK's level.

However none of that means I've completely turned on the film, it's probably still my favorite Superhero movie, certainly the best example of how to do a dark one.  It'll firmly stay in my Top 10 films for awhile.

My first YouTube Video was predicated on 10 years after TDK, so perhaps I should bring it up again here.  It was my idea but edited for me by solyentbrak1.

No comments:

Post a Comment