Thursday, October 8, 2020

Anime 2020 and Witches

 I gave the pilot of Majo no Tabitabi a watch since that also fits October, it was pretty good.  Reminded me that I really should get to finishing Little Witch Academia. It’s good but Anime Harry Potter has limited appeal to me since I never liked Harry Potter.

In Praise of Shadows did a series on Witches in fiction and their relationship to the real legacy of the Witch Trials.  The only Anime covered were Belladonna of Sadness and Kiki’s Delivery service.  It really does feel to me like a study of that genre is incomplete without including Revolutionary Girl Utena or Puella Magi Madoka Magica.  

Of course he also in general wasn’t covering TV shows or else he’d no doubt included Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Charmed, Buffy The Vampire Slayer (at least the Gingerbread episode), Wizards of Waverly Place and maybe even The Secret Circle which I consider an enjoyable mess.  Of course The Secret Circle was loosely based on a series of books from the 90s which he didn’t cover in the novels episode, I haven’t read them but I have The Vampire Diaries from the same author and they are very good.

Burn the Witch is another 2020 Anime project using traditional Witch imagery I should maybe look at.  The only Pretty Cure series that is explicitly Witch centric enough to be worth mentioning here is the 2016 series Mahoutsukai aka Maho Girls Precure!

Episode 21 of Railgun T was pretty good, the actual storyline of the Dreamranker arc is kicking into gear.

Assault Lily moves too fast for me to watch Subbed.

Burn The Witch wound up not being what I was expecting.

So episode 2 of the new Higurashi confirms we’re getting a new arc.  That’s good I don’t think I could watch this new artstyle for its own sake.  But it does have me suspecting that I might need to finally binge those OVAs to fully get what’s going on.

Follow my Anime viewing in real time at these links..

https://myanimelist.net/profile/JaredMithrandir

https://twitter.com/JaredMithrandir 

Also here is the introductory post for this series.

https://jaredmithrandirolorin.blogspot.com/2020/01/anime-2020.html

No comments:

Post a Comment