Thursday, December 31, 2020

More then half the Anime I've completed is from the last Decade

 The decade that begins with 2011 and ends with 2020.

The reason for that has to do with how while I’ve had some interest in Anime since the 90s my truly diving into it started in the middle of that decade, and then a couple years later I started following currently airing seasonal Anime.

Last time I made a post observing this I assumed that this decade best fits my Anime tastes, 2011 did set a lot of our current trends.  But once I went about trying to create a 3x3 I realized how much my top tier favorites do tend to be older.

It might be that a lot of the most recent stuff I’ve seen just needs to stand the test of time more and could improve upon my revisiting it in the future.  Currently the Anime of this decade I consider 3x3 worthy is stuff from early in it and/or connected to older franchises.  But I do think Your Name, A Silent Voice and Weathering With You are all among the best stand alone Anime Films ever made.

Looking at Anime history from the standpoint of the end of 2020, there are ways in which the 2000s almost seem like a giant transitional period from 90s Anime to modern Anime.  But it’s that very quality that makes a lot of it’s stuff seem like the most unique Anime ever made, for better and for worse Kannazuki No Miko and Nanoha both feel like they could only be products of that decade.

But that’s largely the current perspective talking.  I think a lot of 2010s Anime will be better appreciated when revisiting with the benefit of hindsight.  I’m certain eventually 2020s Anime discourse will include a lot of waxing Nostalgic about the Isekai craze.

I’m back to having seen more of 2017 then any other single year, 2018 had pulled ahead at one point, I’m not sure what I recently watched from 2017 to change that.  I’ve completed 39 from 2017, 31 from 2018 and 28 from 2019.  That’s based on their start dates of course, some shows are included that started late in one of those years and continued into the next.  Somehow 2013 is currently tied with 2018.  And there is still stuff from 2017 I want to watch or finish eventually.  2020 has produced less than other years, meaning it still will even once I’ve completed everything on my currently Watching list spend a little while as the only year of this decade I’ve completed less than 20 from.  For 2010 I’ve completed only 12, so there is a big drop off immediately once we go earlier.

I need to digest the end of this Decade a bit more before I make another attempt to rank my favorites from it.  But for now I wish you all a very Happy New Year.

_________________________________________________________

I’ve decided to make a list of my favorite Anime from each year of the 2011-2020 Decade.  The more recent a year is, the more possible it is that I'll change how I rank Anime from that year in the future even if I don’t increase the sample size I’ve seen of it.

I’m going to list a Movie and a Series for each year.  By “Series” I mean TV Anime as well as OVAs, ONAs or serialized films with enough episodes to work like a TV Anime.  For movies I’ll probably only count Theatrically released films with at least a full 60 minute runtime.  But maybe I’ll consider counting some TV movies or feature length OVAs if they feel cinematic enough.

The general rule is one each per year, but exceptions can be made for ties.

2011

Series: We actually start with a tie, Steins;Gate and Mawaru Penguindrum.

Movies: The K-On movie, it really is a masterpiece.

2012

Series: Robotics;Notes

Movies: Pretty Cure Allstars New Stage: Mirai no Tomodachi

2013

Series: A Certain Scientific Railgun S

Movie: A Certain Magical Index The Movie: The Miracle of The Endymion

2014:

Series: Yuki Yuna Is A Hero

Movie: N/A, there are no movies I even gave a 10 this year

2015

Series: School Live

Movie: Girls Und Panzer Der Film

2016

Series: N/A, Wow, for this year there’s no series I gave a 10.  But season 3 of Sailor Moon Crystal was important to me that year.

Movie: Another tie, A Silent Voice and Your Name

2017:

Series: Technically no definitive 10s here either, but I’m giving it to Fate/Apocrypha

Movie: Similarly I’m giving this one to Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Movie Sekka no Chikai

2018

Series: Final tie, SSSS.Grdman and Citrus

Movie: Pokémon The Power of Us

2019

Series: YU-NO The Girl Who Chants Love at The Bound of This World

Movie: Weathering With You

2020

Series: A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Movie: High School Fleet Movie, but that’s about the only film of this year I’ve already seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment