Sunday, January 3, 2021

Top 20 Anime of the Decade that ended with 2020

Naturally this decade also begins with 2011.  This list will also only be TV Anime or ONAs and OVAs serialized enough to be watched like a TV Anime.  No movies or one offs.

I already made a post listing a top 17 of the 2010s, and more recently an attempt to list my favorite of every year of this decade.  Between those two posts I’ve said all I have to say for now on Anime films of this decade, but my rankings for serieses are always evolving.

My honourable mentions are still Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online as the major mainstream Anime of the decade I enjoyed them and they played a role in my journey.  But I liked and even loved a lot of stuff during this decade not mentioned in this post.

20. Symphogear

Watch it.

19. YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at The Bound of This World

An underrated recent show that is a great adaptation of one of the earliest major Visual Novels.  And it held up on my re-watch.

18. Doki Doki Pretty Cure (Glitter Force Doki Doki)

I’m going back to calling this the best PreCure of the Decade and perhaps my favorite Pretty Cure series period.

17. Lupin III Part V (Blue Jacket season 2)

A great way to bring Lupin more firmly into the 21st Century.  And I liked it’s original characters.

16. SSSS.Gridman

Fun show, great homage to old Tokustatsu stuff, and has two of the best villains of the decade.  Plus another great Anime that unintentionally works as an allegory for The Gospel.

15. Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine

Probably the most important Feminist Anime we’ve had since Utena, and has a great Retro Neo-Noir style to it as well.

14. Sailor Moon Crystal

All three seasons go here, I was hard on them at first but they are a satisfying reboot for Manga fans.

13. School Live!

One of my top five Horror Anime and absolutely number one Zombie Anime.

12. Citrus

Best Yuri genre show of the decade, and it keeps proving it’s rewatchability.

11. Engaged To The Unidentified

My first Slice of Life show, and perhaps my first truly Otaku show too.  It’s fun still holds up even now that I’ve seen more.

10. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

A perfectly satisfying 12 episode saga.

9.  No Game No Life

Best Isekai, with world building that makes me really want it to get that season 2.

8.  Yuru Yuri

Best Cute Girls Doing Cute Things show of the decade, 3 seasons of fun and some OVAs.

7.  Mawaru Penguindrum

The most rewatchable Ikuhara show for me personally, and it also has lots of themes I could comment on.

6.  Yuki Yuna Is A Hero

Both seasons go together here.  Yes I do honestly think this show ultimately surpassed Madoka based on my personal investment in the characters.

5.  A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Anime of The Year of 2020 which doesn’t mean much given the options that year.  But it's also a not at all disappointing follow up to it's phenomenal prior seasons.

4.  Steins;Gate

My favorite SciFi Anime and favorite piece of Time Travel fiction in any medium.  Also I’ve used it as an unintentional allegory for The Gospel.

3.  UFO Table Fate/ Anime

Might be unfair to put all of these together,  But they are great adaptations of great source material.

2.  Robotics;Notes

A perfect love letter to the Mecha Genre, a great Reconstruction, and a scene near the climax that even on rewatch still makes me cry.

1.  A Certain Scientific Railgun S

Railgun as a whole is in my view the gold Standard for any Anime that wants to be like a Superhero franchise.  And this season is a perfect follow up to it’s great start.  It’s moving and intense and with a great message.  It’s the embodiment of what Anime means to me.  It may in time be able to become my favorite Anime period, surpassing certain classics as it becomes a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment