Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Noir may no longer be my favorite Anime

Make no mistake it remains very important to me.  It remains my favorite of a number of Sub categories you can fit it into.  And probably remains in my opinion the most perfectly executed Anime of all time.

But in terms of my current relationship with Anime, with how I like to talk about Anime, it's not very representative of what my overall tastes in Anime are.  It became one of the first Anime to catch my interest back when I was much more of an Edgelord then I am now.

Still I do not consider it in conflict with my current Otaku Values, the ending is a happy one, it's perhaps as optimistic as a show with it's starting premise could be.  But when I'm using Anime references to explain my Evangelical Universalist Theology, as analogies for how I view The Gospel, Noir is of little use.

You may think "that's unfair, so what if Number 1 doesn't represent the whole, shouldn't it's uniqueness be why it stands out?"

And that's where I have to mention how it isn't as rewatchable to me as it used to be.  When it was literally the only Anime besides Saturday Morning kids shows I'd watched at all I could binge the entire show on a daily basis.  Now I have too many interests for any single show to take up that much of my time.  But when I do feel compelled to re-watch something even though I'd already seen it fairly recently, it is something much more inline with my general Otaku Values.

Perhaps A Certain Scientific Railgun is a good candidate, it's something that since I first watched it I've seen on average more then once a year, it touches on many different aspects of what I like about Anime, and yet is fairly Normie friendly, one I like to recommend to people as a potential entry point (though with the caveat of skipping the second episode of season 1 on the first watch through).

On the other hand, I have come to feel that Fate/Kaleid Liner Prsima Illya is the Most Anime.

No comments:

Post a Comment