Friday, June 25, 2021

Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya is the Most Anime

This show is Anime's most Memetic Franchise taking on it's most thematically important genre.  And all draped in the most unapologetic Otaku Degeneracy you'll find outside of literal Hentai.

So it's really definitely NOT for Normies or newcomers.  But once someone starts self identifying as an Otaku, their reaction to this show is how you should test them.  If they can't accept it the first time they try it, they might be able to latter after sliding further down the rabbit hole of Weeb Degeneracy.

The big climatic moment of 2weiHerz I consider one of the best Eucatastorphes in fiction and a perfect example of how the Magical Girl Genre and other Anime line up with my understanding of The Gospel. And this moment was set up with a lot of intense emotional build up.

And yet it did that in-spite of the first half of the season being all Slice of Life Fanservicy nonsense.  The kind of fanservice that I usually prefer shows to tone down.  But in one that does everything I love about Anime this well I consider it more then worth it, and kind of wouldn't want it any other way.

And since it's also Pride Month, this show is really really Yuri, filed to the brim with Yuri.  And it also has an episode devoted to Fujoshi.

What I love about this show was already there in season 1, and it stayed for 3wei, and the prequel movie was also decent.  I can't wait till I get to see the upcoming movie.

I want someone to make some fanart of Illya and Miyu recreating the "who's got you" moment from Superman:The Movie, fans of season 1 should get why.

I also do mostly like it's English Dub cast, it always takes some getting used to after spending most of my Fate/ watching time with the mostly LA based Aniplex cast which is usually my ideal.  However there is one character where I prefer her Prisma Illya English voice to the Aniplex one, and that's Lady Luvia Edelfelt.  You simply can't beat Shelley Calene-Black at the Ojousama voice.

Unfortunately the Dub stopped after 2weiHerz.

If the whole thing was redone with the standard English Fate/ Cast I would watch it, their Luvia isn't bad.  But the thing is the titular character is so different in this universe I almsot think she shouldn't have the same voice.  Stephanie Seh certainly can be a Magical Girl protagonist, she has become The Definitive Usagi Tsukino to my ears.  But Prisma Illya while having the same core as all Magical Girl protagonists, has a certain Vibe to her that has me thinking the most fitting Sailor Moon VA would be Terri Hawkes.

Basically, this show is pure concentrated Otakuness, and I Love It.

Update May 2024: As an addition to this thesis I've argued Miyu is the ultimate Kuudere.

https://mithrandirolorin.blogspot.com/2024/05/miyu-edelfelt-supreme-kuudere.html

No comments:

Post a Comment