Thursday, June 3, 2021

MahouShouJune Week 1, including Sailor Moon Eternal initial thoughts

Well I started my MahouShouJune Anime viewing on the first of the month by finally watching the first episode of Action Heroine Cheer Fruits.  It was not what I expected but it could be a fun show.

I watched the first episode of To Your Eternity and it was interesting, not sure I’ll watch this one to completion but I think I might know who to recommend it to.

I decided to check out the first two episodes of Mysterious Nile Girl Thutmose on YouTube, a Live Action Toei Tokusatsu Superheroine show that aired in 1991.  It’s predecessor in the Toei Fushigi Comedy Series from 1990 La Belle Fille Masquee Poitrine created by Shotaro Ishinomori I’d already watched the first two episodes of on YT sometime last year, since it’s now a well documented influence on Codename Sailor V and Sailor Moon, both the Manga and 90s Anime.

This show looks interesting, some of the Music feels like what you’d hear in a vaguely Egyptian themed Video Game level or dungeon.  And it has some special effects that feel right out of Ghostbusters. But it’s also amusing to me how when you combine the Toku Transforming Hero formula with an Egyptian theme, you definitely wind up with something that looks like you could put it in the Fawcett/DC Shazam mythos.

I then watched episode 15 of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, this and Corrector Yui I'm taking my time going through.  I feel like I’d enjoy it more without the Sinbad character.  The reason I prefer this to the other 90s Magical Thief show Saint Tail is having a girl playing the Zenigata role which suits my Yuri bias.  The only thing I conceptually prefer about Saint Tail is that it has more of a Robin Hood element.

Speaking of Corrector Yui, I could not finish episode 5.  First of all I may just have to accept that I actually dislike this Dub cast.  But more so this episode’s moral quickly started feeling like the worst fake environmentalism.

The main event for this post however is that I watched both Sailor Moon Eternal movies as soon as I could on June 3rd.  They were very good, the difference between this version and SuperS is night and day.  Everything frustrating about the 90s Anime version is gone.  Yet I still can’t help but feel like this version could have benefited from at least a half hour or so more runtime.

The Dub while having the same cast as all the prior Viz Dub content was approached differently.  Now they’re including Honorifics, which is generally my preference, but seeing them suddenly included here after all of Crystal not using them felt a little jarring.

No comments:

Post a Comment