Friday, May 27, 2022

Obi-Wan Kenobi's first two episodes were pretty good

I'm enjoying the show so far even though it's not really the premise I was hoping for. 

When the PrequelMemers started creating a demand for a Kenobi series, the idea in my head at least was Obi-Wan having fun little side adventures with some slice of life stuff about being a Hermit on a Desert Planet.  I was not thinking of yet another Episode 3.5.

But since that's what the show is I'm going to accept it and move on.  

The Recap of the Prequel Trilogy actually made me notice I haven't watched any SW films in even HD quality yet, I'd been just using my old DVDs.  Now that I have Disney+ maybe I should fix that.

First thing that really struck me was just seeing Ewen's Obi-Wan call himself Ben, in terms of his performance and mannerisms he a did a great job of slowly becoming more like Alec Guinness's performance over the course of that Trilogy.  But the fact that we aren't shown him taking the name of Ben proves Lucas wasn't doing the generic Prequel fan service stuff everyone accuses him of.  For the purposes of this show obviously the Ben name is established now and seeing Ewen use it a nice treat.

So Leia being a part of the show I was not expecting.  But why create a new Droid to be her little pet when she should be building up her relationship with R2 and 3PO by now.

Obi-Wan learning Vader is alive is technically a gap in the narrative being filled, not one that needed to be but since we're here might as well make a thing out of it.

In my post on Force Healing I mentioned that if Obi-Wan was indeed doing it in Episode IV it must be something he learned (maybe from Qui-Gon) in between the Trilogies, and at this point I can say I will be disappointed if that isn't one of the plotlines of this show.

Only reason I'm doing a post on this show this early is because May is Star Wars month so I might as well do one more Star Wars post to close it out.  Visions and these Live Action Disney+ shows are the Disney Produced Star Wars content I've enjoyed the most, I hope they keep it up.

Ashoka is the show I'm looking forward to the most, I like her character, and even though I never read any old EU content I'm conceptually interested in Thrawn enough to be excited for him being the villain of something Live Action finally, and I hope Barris is also in it.  But first a few shows come before that. I will watch Mando season 3, but I have no interest in Andor.

But I am perhaps most conceptually curious for The Acolyte, finally seeing a completely different era of the Galaxy should be a fun opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment