Friday, May 6, 2022

In my Memory the Late 00s and Early 2010s tend to blend together.

And I have a feeling I'm not alone in that.  As much as we love to by default correlate eras of modern history to Gregorian calendar Decades, including plenty of how I've talked on this blog, how quickly or slowly things change doesn't always line up that way.

For American political history the Gregorian decade changes work better for the 20th years which are also election years, and coincidentally usually not reelections, they have usually been the ascendency of a new President.  But for the period I'm talking about 2010 was merely mid-terms, Obama was elected in 2008 and reelected in 2012.  Of course for me personally that era of American politics was my Ron Paul phase.

The Dark Knight came out in 2008 and The Dark Knight Rises in 2012, then 2013 was the start of Man of Steel being the center of DC film discourse, and in the Comics this was also the era of Grant Morrison's Batman run.  The MCU started in 2008 and Phase 1 culminated in 2012 with The Avengers.  Star Wars: The Clone Wars started in 2008 and it's 6th and final season ended in 2013 after the Disney purchase of Star Wars in late 2012.  The first Twilight film came out in 2008 and then the last one came out in 2012, with The Host in 2013 serving as a coda of sorts to that era of YA Novel based films.  Nintendo released the Wii in 2006 and didn't replace it with the WiiU till 2012.  Also iCarly started in 2007 and ended in 2012.

Twitter started in 2007, or at least that's when I first recall hearing about it.  But what Twitter and Social Media in general was like changed drastically because of events around 2012, that's when MySpace fully died and when Video Essays began to replace Channel Awesome style angry reviews.

During this time period I wasn't yet into Anime nearly as much as I am now, yet in my observations about Anime history a similar pattern can be seen.  I think it can be said that there was an era of Anime that begins with some of the 2006 shows I talked about in my last posts on 2000s Anime and was capped off by Robotics;Notes and Accel World while the contemporary Sword Art Online gave birth to a lot of how Anime has looked since.  This era I would call the Golden Age of Visual Novel adaptations and the Silver Age of Light Novel adaptations, but it was by no means without interesting Manga adaptations and Original Anime.  

For Pokémon this was the era of the DS Games and their corresponding seasons of the Anime.

And for Detective Conan, the Clash of Red and Black saga from 2008 I do happen to consider the end of Classic Detective Conan, yet 2012 when Sera and Amuro are introduced is arguably the real beginning of modern Detective Conan.

No comments:

Post a Comment