Saturday, August 25, 2018

Augustus Month is nearing it's end.

Episode 16 of Steins;Gate 0 was pretty intense.

Episode 4 of Overlord III was fun, a pleasant surprise.

How NOT to Summon A Demon Lord episode 5 was nice and entertaining.

Happy Sugar Life episode 7 was unexpected but good.

I’m not sure what to make of episode 7 of Revue Starlight.

Episode 5 of Ragnarok was a lot of fun.

In Mother’s Basement video trashing on the show he compared the villain to Gilgamesh (with Fate/Stay Night’s Gilgamesh clearly being the intended reference), but in this episode he actually reminded me more of Fate/Zero’s take on Iskandar(Alexander The Great).

The MC seems to think he’s on Earth in the past and not actually a different world, I have no idea if that’s supposed to be correct or not.  Strictly speaking the weird anachronism I commented on previously of using Norse mythological names in a Bronze Age Near East setting conflicts with viewing this as compatible with real history.  But I’m a long time nerd of this kind of stuff who’s aware that the Prose Edda claims the Æsir descended from an ally of King Priam of Troy.

You see the reason I’m loving this show in-spite of all the valid flaws you can point out, is that rather than reminding me of the usual Fantasy lineage that Isekai anime draws on (MMORPG/JRPG descended from Table Top Games descended from Tolkien) it instead reminds me of old Italian Peplum/Sword and Sandal films that I sometimes have a craving for.  And old cheap American and British films drawing on the same kinds of ideas.  Those films were fun in-spite of being not exactly Cecil B Demille quality, and often quite anachronistic.  It’s definitely something different for this genre.

And that’s why the comparison to Fate/ characters is poignant, as that franchise can also remind me of that genre when dealing with Heroic Spirits who were eligible to be subjects of those films.  From Gilgamesh to Iskandar to all the Greek mythology figures, and now the Biblical ones added by Grand Order.  And there were two films about Semiramis, The Slave Queen of Babylon staring Yvonne Furneaux was one of my favorite films of the genre, most are mainly So Bad it’s Good, but this one is worthy of a legit analytical video essay from Lindsay Ellis or Kyle Kallgren or someone.

The second episode of Attack on Titan season 3 was very good, I was quite surprised how much progress happened.  The Dub is taking next week off for Labor day, and if I have as little to say about most shows as I did this week I may do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment